Three.

Afterschool basketball practice takes a lot more time today

I sniff my basketball vest. I feel my gag reflex horribly.

It's important I take this for laundry ASAP.

Shoving it into my bag, I drape the green shirt I wore to school this morning over my shorts.

I'm relieved it doesn't stick to my perspiration.

My stomach growls, I'm famished as ever. I swing the strap of my bag over my shoulder and get out of the locker room.

Jael and Yeshua aren't around. They usually wait around for me but their absence today is understandable.

Yeshua needed to get his arm checked today. From the look of things his cast will be taken off pretty soon.

Still, I wonder where Jael could possibly be.

My instant guess is Downie's and deciding from the way my stomach is growling, I definitely should head there too.

•••

The smell of freshly made burgers is the first thing that hits me the second I get inside Downie's; followed by that of meaty fries, coke and even more burgers.

I moan and hurtle over to go order something.

I make my order of two burgers and an extra large shake.
I hook my bum to a seat and drop my food on the round silver table.

I dig in, checking on my Discord from time to time and replying to messages from my mates.

It takes time before I notice but I do.

Farther into the diner, seated in a booth is Jael - whose beanie pompom is currently being threatened by the scissors in Yeshua's hand.

I grab my tray and plop down in front of them.

"Oh hey Willie." Jael greets, eyes focused on whatever she's drawing with a dozen colour pens.

"Jael, I thought you would wait for me." I whine.

"Oh yeah. I'm sorry, I was busy." She halfheartedly replies, full concentration still on her drawing.

Is that what that feels like?

Yeshua still continues in his attempt to erase the ridiculously huge pompom from existence.

"So, what you guys up to?" I ask.

"I'm getting my cast off this week." Yeshua smiles.