Ch.2: Mother Mady

The next morning things in the Magdalynn house became chaotic as the now blended family began to adapt to the change. James, his wife Sarah, and their two; seven and eight-year-old girls were always around trying to make friends. Willow who was a preteen was assessing the situation with cold calculating eyes. She was well aware of her father's indiscretions. The fact that this woman wanted them still baffled her.
"Can I have some milk please?" The youngest foster child named Forest asked with curious eyes as he looked at James who was a big whale of a man.
"Good idea, wanna help me make breakfast?" the little boy nodded as Adam chased after them. "Me too!" he cried excitedly leaving the three girls and Douglas alone in the living room.
"So what kind of games do you like?" Douglas asked the girls with curiosity. The older girl Amanda flinched her black hair from her face as she squinted her eyes shut in thought.
"I like dolls, tag, racing, and chalk" Her sister giggled snorting as she went embarrassed she whispered. "I like the same but I don't like dolls''
"Wanna play hide and seek?" Willow said with a bored expression the younger kids became excited. "Alright, who's it?"
"Me, now go hide," Willow said emotionlessly as she pointed to the hall the younger children took off as she pretended to count. As she set there wonder how long she could get away with not searching but that was short-lived as Sarah the girl's mother asked her where they went.
"I'm giving them time to hide" The chestnut-haired woman had smiled fondly.
"If you need anything feel free to ask" Sarah rustled her hair and walked away not seeing the anger that seethed off the young girl. Willow stormed off to find the brats. After often minutes of searching Willow gave out a frustrated groan.
"They're gone!" she said, stomping down the stairs. Sarah giggled standing from her set as she raised her hand to her mouth and led the thirteen-year-old up the stairs and pointed at the laundry room. "Dry, pantry and then cheek under Mady's bed" Willow gave an unsure look as Sarah nodded reassuringly.
"The dryer?" Willow questioned as she walked toward the door pushing it open. The room was medium-sized with a dry, washing machine, and a small storage closet. Quietly she crept towards the dry and pulled it open.
"Rawer!" Ruby screamed, diving for her, willow screamed as the two fell on the floor. Willow pierced her lips together as she stood up and pulled the pantry open, sasily she walked to the room and found her brother.
"Your it now," she said, wiping her hands from the game. Shortly after breakfast was called the group set down at the table and extend folding out tables that James had set up. The adults talk school, schedules, and rooms while the younger kids eat and talked all the while Willow sits watching and calculating.
The next few days progressed the same until Mady was able to bring A sense of order to the household. Willow despite her best efforts was beginning to get used to the house and all of Mady's dotting ways. Willows' s own mother had never been the mothering type and Richard was a sleaze bag. The only thing normal in Willow's life was her school friend, Danny, her childhood BFF found the whole thing fascinating. Though as the days progressed for Willow things didn't get easier as it did for her siblings. The school was becoming less and less tolerant of her daydreams and attitude.
    It was a few weeks into the move the other children were adjusting crudely. The young ones were fine blissfully unaware while Willow was standing on thin ice. Mady was trying her best to help her adjust in any way possible but the young rebel teen just wouldn't budge. Then it happened Willow came home from school with tears streaming down her face as she stormed passed. Mady couldn't let this go so she followed after The conversation that came next would change their relationship forever.
"Willow what's wrong?"
"Nothin" Willow snapped angrily, she had always managed on her own even before her mother died only now things were way out of her control. Mady sighed.
"Please, I can't help you if you don't talk?"
"I said nothing" Willow sobbed shaking her head. "Well, the tough girl I know doesn't cry for no reason" Willow whimpered as the truth came out.
"My teacher she wouldn't listen" Willow explained how her teacher would accept her late work since a sub had been filling in for the month. "So I have an F, I've never had an F" Willow groaned with frustration. "She can't fail you,"
"She can and she did I hate her," Willow said, burying her face in Mady who rubbed her back. "I'll Handel don't worry" Willow was too distraught to answer back as she cried. Mady l laid her down into the bed and went to make a call. The call she made was one filled with anger and annoyance The teacher on the other and had apologized profusely Mady however insisted it wasn't her if she needed to be apologizing to.
The next morning Willow got up for school with a grumpy attitude. Mady had laid out their lunches in bags and set aside a special one for Willow who ran past grabbing the one with a W on the front.

"Have a good day!" Mady called to all the kids who followed after.

"Bye, Mama!" Adam said running up to her as he hugged her legs and chased after Douglas who now attended his school. Mary stood there smiling as she watched her kids climb on the bus. Richard may have been a dirty lair but he had brought her the greatest gift she could ever ask for; a family worth working on.