Ch.1: A Fatal incident

The air was sultry and mucky visibly thick layer of smog filled the air around the small ocean side Californian city of Fireside bay. The town was a moderate tourist destination and beloved by locals for it since of community. For an average summer day it was moderately busy on the road with only a few traffic jams. Kids were loaded on the school bus, families sat arguing in cars so when a five car pile up made the morning news the whole town was tooning in. however this car accident would spiral several lifes onto a new track.

Madeleine Jessabile Magdalynn a soft faced thirty year old woman was making business arrangements as the morning news played in the background she hadnt given the pile up much thought until her phone rang. She was given hooriffic news her husband was in the crash he hadnt survived. Tears poured down her face as she raced across town in her little grey Santa Fe. Mady as her friends called her was a respectable, lovable, softspoken woman with black hair and blue eyes all she had ever wanted was a husband and to be a mother. The latter had only recently been possible because she was unable to conceive children naturally, with the help of a surrogate they conceived a son they named Adam. He was currently six. Mady sobbed into her steering wheel as she though of how to explain death to her baby though she wouldnt have to worry about that because he was with his uncle James. James was Madeleine's brother and best friend. Frantically she called him sobbing as she explained, he listened silently, reassuring her as she drove erratically to the hospital. Jumping out of the car she frantically gave her information to the valet and raced into the town's only community hospital.

Madeline raced to the information counter and told the receptionist who she was, the look of sadness went unnoticed by Mady as she was led into a room and asked to wait. A well dressed doctor walked in, his blue eyes were soft and caring as he spoke. "I'm so sorry to tell you this," the doctor began, "Your husband was in an accident and he is no longer with us,"

Madeline's blue eyes went wide as tears began to pour down her face, her soft porcelain-like skin turning the color of fired clay. The doctor gave her a moment to grieve before dropping the real bombshell. "While we were able to identify your husband we were unable to identify the other women in the car" Madeleine's wailing suddenly turned to an inaudible whimper.

"A woman?" She asked concerned as all the events of the past few years flashed through her mind. The rude things her friends had said about him being a flirt and a player were confirmed.

"Yes, a woman we believe with black hair and blue eyes" The doctor said reading form a medical chart.

Madeline's face went through a series of pained emotions. Everything made so much sense. Why her husband had been so willing to go work overseas during the summer and why she had never been invited. Madeline followed the doctor quietly praying that she didn't know the woman. Madiline asked the doctor for a moment alone with her deceased husband. Mady stared down at the man she loved and slammed his hand down on his charred chest.

"How could you," She asked no one but the bright white walls.

"You promised to love and cherish me" Mady clenched his short as she cried for what felt like an eternity. Mady didn't have it in her to look at the comatose body behind the curtain. Instead she pulled herself together, wiped away her makeup and walled from the room. The only evidence of her grief was her puffy eyes. After a moment of waiting in front of the room. The doctor returned a while later saying they had identified the woman as thirty two year old Ashley Pines from a town over. Madeline was numb as the doctor continued to speak his words falling on deaf ears until he said a very important words. "The children will be placed in foster care" Madiline took a moment to grasp the fact her husband had fathered two children with another woman. Anger rage and hate filled her for a moment until three innocent little faces were led into the building by a social worker. The oldest was about twelve years all the while the youngest two were five and six respectively.

At first the female social services did not want to release the children into Madeline's custody saying that one single parent couldn't handle three kids plus one of their own alone. Mady whose family was very well-connected called her brother James Ross who was a respected community leader and Senior social service worker who at first was on the side of the other social worker Until Madeline gave him a very convincing spiel about how everything happened for a reason and that these children need her and that if he didn't help he was heartless. In the end Madeline left with the children in hand. Her SUV back to the brim with children. The oldest girl refused to talk and the youngest were exhausted as they pulled into the driveway. Madeline smiled at the old red pick up truck introns of her house. Only one man she knew drove a vehicle like that. Said man opened the front door to reveal a big burly black haired man with a scraggly beard. James beamed as he walked over to the SUV . Pecked inside to the sleeping kids. Then proceeded to carry the children into the house.

"Mady'' he called softly once everyone was settled. "Yes?" She said through watery eyes. Her brother stopped speaking, his eye becoming soft as he adopted a softer tone. "I'm proud of you" Mady smiled softly and hugged her brother. "Thank you" James just patted his little sisters back. He knew her heart was in the right place and that all she had ever wanted was children of her own. He just hoped it was worth it. The two talked into the night about the future. James promised to be there in any way he could. The adult siblings fell asleep on the long black couch. The children up stairs in Madeline's bed, Adam on his own. The night seemed to pass blissfully unaware of the worlds that had just collided.