{29} Just in Time

~Louis' POV~

Niall collapses, blood flowing from the hole in his back. Cher glares at Daniel, her eyes full of fury, and I watch in shock as she twists her wrist and Daniel's neck copies the motion, snapping suddenly. Daniel's body slumps to the ground and Cher and Niall's aunt kneel on either side of the prince, assessing the damage. Niall's aunt cups a flame in her hands, whispering into it.

"Requesting immediate backup. The prince is severely injured, he was shot in the back. Teleportation and doctors needed immediately." The fire goes out and not five seconds later fifteen Council members have appeared around us. Liam and the Fae Advisor, Thina, start trying to figure out if there are any spells they know that can help Niall.

"Niall!" A familiar voice yells, and his mum appears, kneeling beside him and looking down at her bleeding son. "Lindsey, I have to." She says, looking up at the King's sister.

"No, Maura, you can't." Headmaster says.

"He doesn't have to know. We can erase it from everyone's memories. No one ever has to know." Maura pleads. Headmaster snaps her fingers and everyone but her, Maura, and I falls to the ground, unconscious.

"What was that? What's going on?" I ask, watching as my friend's face grows steadily paler.

"I cast a spell to knock out anyone in a three mile radius who is a magic and isn't related to the King." Headmaster explains.

"Why am I still awake, then?" I ask, and she smiles sadly.

"A very long time ago, a very powerful Sorcerer became the king of the magics." Headmaster recites. The story of Niall's family. But her next words surprise me. "The King had two sons."

"The first King only had one son."I correct automatically.

"No, he didn't." Headmaster says. "When the elder son was 18, the King had been in power for 15 years, and his youngest son was only a baby. That year, a group of Wizards rebelled for the first time, kidnapping the prince and attempting to kill him. Before they could succeed, the King rescued his son, but it was too late. The boy was dying.

"So the King placed a special spell on his son, who was in a coma. He would wake three days later, with no memory of his life. When the boy opened his eyes, everyone would forget who the boy was, even the King. So three days later, the King found an Immortal boy on his doorstep, with no idea who he was."

"He named him the first name that appeared in his mind, without any idea that it was truly his own son's name. Louis." Maura finishes.

"I'm the first King's son?" I ask in disbelief.

"The royal family was never supposed to know who their trusted Advisor truly was, but your little brother, the only person in the kingdom not affected by the spell, remembered. He passed on your story through the generations, right down to Niall." Headmaster explains.

"Niall knows that we're related." I realize.

"And now he's dying." Maura says. "Louis won't tell anyone, I know he won't. Not even Niall."

"Tell them what?" I ask.

"Niall is the most powerful Spellcaster in the world." Maura says. "That's because he's the only person on Earth with Spellcaster blood and Healer blood running through his veins."

"You're a Healer?" I ask, shocked. Healers are the rarest magics of all. In the history of the kingdom, there have only been two Healers. They're always female, and always have the ability to heal any injury, of body or mind.

"You cannot tell anyone, especially Niall." Maura says.

"Fix him, quickly." Headmaster says, looking at Liam, who is beginning to stir. Maura holds her hand a couple of inches above Niall's stomach, and I watch as her hand starts to glow, and Niall's stomach heals. Even the blood staining the ground vanishes in the warm light.

"Goodbye, Niall." Maura says, kissing her son's forehead and vanishing. The curse of the Healers. After a Healer has healed a person, they are bound to them. Maura can only heal Niall, and she can only see him when she's healing him. A Healed person can never know their Healer.

Niall can never see his mum again.

~Niall's POV~

When I wake up, I'm lying in the infirmary, and Louis is standing at he foot of my bed.

"Welcome back, Niall." He says, smiling brightly.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, looking around.

"Harry, Liam, Zayn, and Cher are in class. Your aunt is with the Council, trying to decide what's going to happen next." Louis explains.

"What about my mum?" I ask, wondering if she's allowed in the infirmary. Louis looks down.

"She didn't make it, Niall." Louis says. "After Daniel shot you, your aunt sent out an emergency call to the Council, summoning them to her. Your mom was with them, and Daniel killed her before anyone could react."

"What about him?" I ask, deciding not to dwell on the fact that I'm now an orphan and instead focus on the villain who killed my parents.

"Cher snapped his neck." Louis says. "That's one of the things the Council is deciding. How to punish her."

"She shouldn't be punished at all!" I exclaim.

"No kidding. That's what your aunt it arguing." Louis agrees. "But really, it's up to the Council."

"You aren't telling me something." I say, noticing the hesitant look in his eyes.

"Your aunt told me my past." Louis admits, and I grin.

"You're like my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather or something." I tease, and Louis laughs.

"I'll stick to being an Advisor, thanks." He jokes, shaking his head. "Why didn't your family want to tell me?"

"Our family." I correct. "Because it's also your family. My ancestors were afraid that if you knew you were related to us, you'd be angry that your own father put a control spell on you."

"My job is to protect your family, Niall." Louis says. "It doesn't make any difference if I'm related to you. In fact, it makes me want to protect you more."

I smile, nodding.

I guess neither of us really want to be treated like Royalty.