{12} Broken Contract

You know, it's insane how fast time goes by. It feels like yesterday my dad told everyone who I really was, and now it's March, and people are finally starting to get more comfortable around me. Harry, Liam, and Zayn have warmed up to the idea that I hid this from them, as well as Ed, Josh, and Sandy, but Dan and Jon still aren't very happy about it and are still avoiding me. I guess that can't be helped, though.

I head down the hallway, Louis by my side, and attempt to ignore the many stares I get, ones I'll probably have on me for the rest of my life. Stupid royalty. I mean, I've kept most of my friends, Luke and his band have also been supportive, but our final performance for music is in a couple of months and Dan and Jon won't play. How do we sing without a band? Sandy and Josh are trying to convince them to play for us again.

"Your Highness, King Bobby would like to speak with you in your Headmaster's office." A man says, bowing to me then disappearing into the crowd. I sigh, looking at Louis, who shrugs. He doesn't know what this is about, either.

"Shall we go?" I ask, putting on a posh accent that makes Louis laugh.

"Let's." He replies, taking my arm. We walk gracefully down the hallway, making it to the door of my aunt's office before we collapse in a fit of giggles. How do they expect me to make serious decisions when I can't even walk down a hallway without doing something stupid?

"Are you two done?" My dad asks, poking his head through the doorway. Louis immediately composes himself, but I take a bit longer, a smile still on my face when we enter the office. "Niall, Louis, please take a seat." My dad says once we get into the room, grabbing a chair himself. Once Louis and I are seated, my aunt speaks up from her position behind the desk.

"We want to talk to you two about something." She says, opening her desk and pulling out an old piece of paper. Not even that, it looks like parchment or something. Louis' eyes widen and he attempts to keep a straight face, failing miserably and instead looking scared out of his mind.

"What is that?" I ask, confused. My aunt and my dad both look at Louis, who sighs.

"The contract I signed when I first woke up. I thought it was destroyed in a fire, in fact that's what I was told, but I guess not." Louis explains, and I nod. Louis' contract.

"The contract states that Louis is to remain as Advisor for eternity, and the punishment for not doing so, as it was for pretty much anything back then, is death." My dad reads, taking the contract from my aunt. Oh. That's why Louis is scared. He knows exactly what the contract states, he can't really forget it. Louis broke his contract when he left the Council when I was six.

~Louis' POV~

Is it bad I was kinda hoping they wouldn't remember the contract? I knew when I left that I would have to be punished, and I definitely knew that I was breaking my contract. I probably should have figured it would be now.

"Louis, you know what this means." King Bobby states, not a question but I nod anyway. For anyone else, immediate death. For me, eternity spent in a dungeon until they can figure out how to kill me. At that point, out of pity, because being stuck in a cell for millions of years isn't fun. I would know, I was stuck in one at one point, although for only a couple hundred years. Long story.

"Isn't there some way to keep him from that punishment?" Niall asks, frowning. I look down at my hands, wishing I could die. Eternity in a cell is worse than death, because one means a quick end to life while the other is being stuck forever. I'm already imprisoned in my own body, stuck in this world, a freak of nature even among other Immortals. Who knows what I really am.

"I'm afraid not, Niall. The contract is very specifically written." Headmaster Lindsey says. A hand connects with my shoulder suddenly, and I find myself standing in front of the common room of our hallway, the other eight members of my room, minus Niall, looking at me and the man next to me in stunned curiosity. King Bobby smiles, nodding before disappearing again. Say your goodbyes.

~•~•~•~•~

"So you broke your contract and the punishment is death?" Liam repeats my words in disbelief. None of my roommates know that I can't die, so they think I'm actually heading off to my death. I guess that's for the better, because that's what King Bobby will want everyone to think anyways.

"Pretty much." I say, confirming Liam's words.

"That's harsh." Zayn comments, and I shrug.

"Everything was back then. You could be put to death for stealing a spoon." I say, smiling a little at the thought.

"Can't they rewrite the contract so the punishments fit modern times?" Harry asks, for once an idea that might work. They've suggested running away (the King can teleport to me), bribery (he's the King), even killing him (are they insane?!). But obviously nothing that would work.

"I guess, but even now the punishment would be pretty severe. I mean, I'm responsible for keeping the heir safe. If Niall had been seriously injured or killed after I left, the punishment would definitely be death, even in our time. You all know how serious the Council takes the whole royalty thing. And since I left while Niall was in danger, any rewritten punishment would still be bad. Death would probably hurt less." I admit, looking up when a hand taps on my shoulder.

"Well we can still try. Believe it or not, there's a chance. I'll explain in the office." Niall says, teleporting me back to the office without a word to our friends. Man, I'm teleporting a lot today.

"Are you ready, Louis?" King Bobby asks, taking my hand in his. I look at Niall, who reaches forward and puts his own hand on his father's.

"Wait." Niall says simply, looking into his father's eyes. "Think about it for a second. Louis' job is to save my life. He left, sure, but as soon as he saw me again he went back to that job. If I were to be in danger, Louis is the only one who could really save me, and you know it. If you lock him up forever, who will protect me?" Niall asks, and I smile. Didn't think about that approach last time.

King Bobby pauses, realizing that his son has a good point. Without me, Niall has no protection, and with the Wizard Rebellion and the Wiper on the loose, he needs it more than ever.

"Very well. Louis will stay here." He decides, not releasing my hand. "However, you still must be punished." I nod, wondering what he'll do since he can't lock me away. "Louis, stand completely still." King Bobby orders, finally letting go of my hand. I stand completely still, and King Bobby touches his hand to my throat. I feel a tingling sensation, then a burning one that steadily gets more painful. I manage to keep myself up, though, so I'm able to continue looking straight at nothing while King Bobby continues, touching my wrist, my thigh, my back. When he's finished and the burning fades back to the tingling, my eyes dart to his hand and I spot the familiar sparkles of magic fading away. I'm sure they're all over my body as well.

"What did you do?" Niall asks for me. I continue to stand still, waiting for King Bobby to say something else. I don't want to risk everything because I disobey him.

"I can't tell you, but you will both find out soon enough." King Bobby says, dismissing us with a wave of his hand. Niall and I walk down the hallway to our rooms, both of us silent, taking in what just happened. I nearly got locked away for eternity, but Niall saved me. I already owe my life to his family, and now I owe it specifically to Niall, too. How many of his descendants will I have to watch over? To how many more will I be forever in debt?