10

March 21, New York

"Bring in the defendant."

America stepped in the eerily quiet atrium that was bursting with conversation just seconds ago.
It felt as though there was nobody in the spacious courtroom, or rather, that the entire courtroom was holding their breath, as every one of America's footsteps echoed against the walls and the ceiling.

He glanced at the left side of the judge ICJ, where the, originally six, now three countries that make up the official languages of the United Nations, sat. But to whom he paid the most attention on was Saudi Arabia, who was fidgeting in his seat with anxiety. The sight somewhat gave him comfort... at least he knew that there will be someone behind him, someone to defend him.
However, America thought again, if Saudi Arabia were too afraid for his life to speak up... then he couldn't do anything about it. After all, that is how us humans behave.

After America had stopped at the small pedestal at the middle of the tiled floor, conversation once again started to grow... just only for a few seconds before ICJ had banged their gavel once and demanded silence.

"The United States of America," announced the judge as he picked up his papers, "it is said that you have been murdering countries that are usually close to you to bait your enemies by turning these murders onto them. What have you got to say?"

"That is all false, sir."

Everyone had expected, with baited breath, that America would reveal himself as the murderer, or even leave a trace of who the actual murderer could be, so it came off as no surprise that the entire Supreme Court fell into chaos at this remark. It took five taps of the judge's gavel and several demands of silence to return the order.

"Well then, have you gotten any witnesses?"

"Yes, your Honor," and with this, he raised a hand to Saudi Arabia's direction.

America had long expected that the small country would back up for him, but the reaction still took him by surprise, as Saudi Arabia, although shakily at first, stood up.

"Your Honor, may Allah bless you.
I have talked to the defendant once and he had said that he did not murder the four countries namely Japan, the Republic of China, the Republic of the Philippines, and the French Republic."

"Any more?"

"I-"

The ICJ stared expectantly at the Arabic country, who was shaking with nervousness, before turning onto the rest of the court.

"Who else would like to serve as witnesses?"

At once silence greeted this remark.
However, someone unexpected stood up. He came from the left side of the judge, where the three countries sat, and as he stood up, everyone gasped in surprise, for it was one who remained silent as the murders increased and especially after the last tribunal.

"Russia?"

Once again, whispers and murmurs stirred around the courtroom, as someone who was so quiet for a long time, almost like an enternity, finally stood up, and at a queer moment! It is obvious to one that Russia and America were no longer friends, despite sharing many personality traits in common, and here he was, standing up to serve as a witness for America... or is it?

However what was much more important was that Russia merely stood up to say one thing:
"Sir, it may seem quite strange for me to say this but America didn't murder anyone."
Then he sat back down.

ICJ then turned to everyone once again, this time in awkward-like silence.
Finally they cleared their throat.
"Who here pleads the United States of America is not guilty?"

At this remark, majority of the Western countries, and maybe some Asian countries... almost more than half of the court, raised their hands.

(In reality, almost every member in the United Nations has had an alliance with America once in their time, although it wouldn't be fair to say that all have raised their hands.)

"Well, I see that almost half of the court pleads America not guilty.
"If that is the case, then this court is adjourn-"

"Excuse me, Your Honor, I would like to state something."

Everyone gasped as United Nations, who had been sitting at the right side of the judge alongside other world organizations, arose.

"Two weeks ago, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia reported to me this case, whom we have just learned that this is false, and that the United States of America truly is not guilty.
And we know that false accusations is considered a crime, as stated by section 314 of the Crimes Act 1900."
At this remark, conversations, yet in worried tones, coursed through the entire court.

"However," said the United Nations, yet in a much more gentler tone, which seemed to be specifically directed at Saudi Arabia, "he has not given me evidence, which therefore proves that this false accusation may indeed be just a silly statement highlighting a rumor, and had also stated that there were some who had pressured him into doing so. I will not go into details of who did, and we have seen that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia may have indeed taken back his word," they gave a slight smile to the small country.

"He may have violated the law once, however in a light manner and in a manner that was not his fault, and I sincerely hope that Your Honor will be able to let me handle this case.
"Besides I seem to be the one responsible for this tribunal."

The ICJ then turned to the Arabic country, and then to the United Nations. They turned back and forth between the two, before settling with the United Nations.

"If you wish.
"This court is adjourned."

At these words, America could not describe the breathtaking happiness and relief he had felt. The emotion was slight, but it had taken an impact on his head that had been clouded with guilt and worry for so long.

"All rise," NATO announced before tailing behind ICJ out of the courtroom, followed by the organizations, then the three countries, then the rest, from the most important to the least.

~~~

March 23, New York

Two days have passed since that terrifying yet relieving tribunal.

America and Canada were engaged in pleasant talk back in America's office. Besides that, much less rumors about the murders spread around the headquarters, yet it was true was that the rumors about America being the murderer were immediately silenced.
On the other hand, very few have seen Saudi Arabia. It was said, although jokingly, that he was facing "severe punishment" from the United Nations.

"I have to go now," said Canada as they both jerked their hands in and official manner, although it was merely just to bid a short farewell, "It's almost one and I gotta go back to my office to continue my work," he said as he approached the door.

But as he reached for the doorknob, all of a sudden, NATO slammed the door open.
He looked like he had just flown across the entire building just to deliver this message!
(However the two had known quite well it was once again another murder)

"America, come with me to the hospital wing! You've got to see this!"
What had appalled America the most was NATO's voice.
It was a mix of dread and relief.

~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter is just uh
Far shörter than the rest
I'm sorru

Also by the way, I just learned such thing called a verdict exists, but I don't know it's definition or how to use it.

Also I'm not going to law school nor am I planning to do so, so the tribunal part is just filled with half-assed research. If that infuriates you, I'm sorry.

Word count: 1307