4: Secret

"Please?" you asked, your voice still trying to recover. He holds out a hand to help you stand up and you take it, wobbling due to your legs. He holds your elbows so you stay steady and don't fall.

"Okay, okay. But first, which do you think I am?" he said with a wink. You decide to just choose by singing to rhyme.

Ini mini miny mo, catch a tiger by its toe if it hollers let him go, ini mini miny mo...

"Kaoru?" you ask, figuring you'll get it wrong. Yet to your surprise, he nods and hugs you again, but you shift uncomfortably as his arm is pressed against one of your bandages on your back.

"Are you okay?" Kaoru asks, releasing you from his grip. You rub your lower back a bit and decide to just nod so he wouldn't find out.
"(F/n), please. You don't have to lie," he says and stares into your eyes. Although you just met him that day, you feel as though you can trust him.

"Do you promise not to tell anyone, not even Hikaru?" you ask and he thinks for a moment then nods. You look down as you speak. "Okay... Well, my father passed away not that long ago and so my mom has taken up drinking. Sometimes she hits my back with a whip or will break a glass over my back. That's why I get uncomfortable when people touch my back," you say. You both stand there in silence as the bell rings, signaling lunch is over. You look up at Kaoru and see that he's just standing there staring at you. "Kaoru?"

"Why didn't you tell someone?" he said, kind of spaced out with a worried look on his face. You shrug and he sighs. "Well, we aught to get back to class or else Hikaru will come looking for us," he says and opens the door, waiting for you to walk through. You both walk to class in an uncomfortable silence and sit down.

For the rest of the day you and Kaoru exchange eye contact but you quickly look away, which caused suspicion in Hikaru. He asks Kaoru but he just says that you weren't feeling good. The entire first month of school goes by quickly since you spend time with the host club and their newest member Haruhi from your class. At first everyone thought that they were a boy, but then realized she was a girl. She had to keep her gender a secret so that she could still work for the host club, so we promised not to tell since she was fun to have around. Tamaki seemed to have taken a liking to her, and he started calling her his daughter when students weren't around. Things went back to normal between you and Kaoru, and you hung around the twins most of your time at school. When you and Kaoru were alone he would ask if your mom had beat you again, which she had 3 nights in a row. He started to become kind of like a body guard so that no one would touch your back or you get bullied, and Hikaru decided to help after finding blood seep through the back of your dress at school. He had the same reaction as Kaoru and was upset that Kaoru got to know first, but he got over it.

"Just remember to let me know if these two are starting to become too much and I'll get them away from you," Haruhi tells you one day as you two watch the twins joke around with the guests as they escort them to the door. You nod and smile at her.

"Thanks Haruhi, and same goes for you. I actually enjoy their company even though they do get to be a handful sometimes," you tell her. You feel two elbows on your shoulders and sigh as you look up at the two who smirk down at you. "What do you guys need?" you ask. Kyoya calls Haruhi over to him because a guest has requested her.

"We were just wondering what you were doing after school," one of them, Hikaru you think, says.

"Yeah, we were wondering if you wanted to come to our house," the other twin said.

"What?" you asked, confused.

Why are they asking to come to their house? What are they planning?

"Well, our mom wants to meet you and we all could study for that test coming up together," the one you think is Hikaru said as he scratched the back of his head.