Chapter 2

I looked up in shock. The mystery man that had caught my eye earlier was the owner of the deep voice. His eyes stared into mine as he waited for a response. I realized my mouth was hanging open.

"Uh..." I said dumbly.

"Cat got your tongue?" he asked mockingly.

I blushed again. How many times am I going to do that before this day is over? I looked up again. His smirk started to slightly irritate me. Finding a sudden confidence, I pushed myself away from his chest. As I did so, I couldn't help but notice his abs. Ugh. "No it doesn't." I said slightly annoyed. I tried to get out of his arms completely but it was no use. I was pretty much helpless because his grip was like steel.

The smirk had disappeared when I had kinda snapped at him but when he noticed how I tried to escape, it was back again. "Do you mind?" I asked, gesturing to his arms.

His smirk faltered for a second. Only a second. But he let me go anyhow.

"Do I get to know your name?" he asked.

I pretended to think about it for a second and then, for some reason, I gained a burst of courage, and leaned towards him. He leaned forward too. I went on my tippy toes and whispered in his ear, "No."

And with that, I walked away. I thought about what I did. Any other day, and that would be some other girl. Not me. I never did that. I didn't dare look back. I kept walking to the dorm building. I unlocked the door to my room and walked in. My roommate, Shea, was at her laptop Skyping her family. She turned around and waved to me. I waved back and went to put my unneeded books away. I went to my dresser and grabbed a change of clothes. I went to the bathroom to change and when I was done I grabbed my laptop, the books I needed for my essays and headed out the door. I didn't want to interrupt Shea and her family so I walked around to find a spot to work. I found a bench that was empty so I plopped my stuff down and started working.

I was so preoccupied with working on my multiple essays that I didn't notice that it was dark out, and I was practically the only one still outside. I checked the clock on my phone and realized I'd only been working for almost an hour and a half. I shivered, and rubbed my arms. Of course I was cold, I wasn't even wearing a sweater! I got my stuff together and got up, only to realize that Shea would still be talking to her family. I needed a quiest (ish), warm place to go. My stomach growled its input. I ran to my dorm, grabbed a jacket and headed back out to the café down the street from the school. I walked in and inhaled the scent of apples and cinnamon, which meant apple crisp, their fall specialty. I hoisted my bag further up onto my shoulder and walked up to the counter.

"Hello," the older woman working the register greeted me.

"Hi," I said with a smile.

"What can I get for you today?"

"Do you have any apple crisp left?" I asked hopefully.

"There's one last piece. Anything else?"

Score! "A hot chocolate would be lovely," I said calmly, while inside I was doing a happy dance. The woman disappeared to the back and came out a minute later with my crisp and hot chocolate. She handed me the items, I payed and took a seat. I pulled out my laptop and went to my email while stabbing the appley goodness with a fork. I answered a couple emails, mostly from friends and family back home and then multitasking was too much. I had to focus entirely on my apple crisp paired with hot chocolate. I sipped from cup and felt the warmth running down my throat. I bit into the apple crisp and felt the spice of the cinnamon and the sweetness of the apple and it was all too much. I moaned out loud.

A couple people turned and stared at me. Whoops. I blushed and ducked my head.

I spent about an hour in the café just savoring the crisp. At last, I had finished it, and in the process, drained my hot chocolate as well. I packed up and walked out, nodding at the lady who had been at the register before. I was walking home when heard footsteps behind me. I glanced over my shoulder, but there was no one there. Weird. I kept walking but picked up my pace. Maybe I was just paranoid...?

I heard the footsteps again. I whipped my head around, with my bag in hand ready to use it as a weapon. And I didn't see anyone. I cautiously lowered my bag back to my side and relaxed my shoulders. Okay, I was definitely paranoid. I walked with a more relaxed pace, now convinced that I was hearing things. I would rather be hearing things than the footsteps being real.

Speak of the devil and he shall come. This time, I heard very distinguished footsteps. I turned around.

I put my hands on my hips. "Are you stalking me?" I asked. It was the man who had caught my eye earlier today! I raised an eyebrow as we stood just feet from each other under the streetlight.

Finally, he responded. "Maybe." he said mysteriously.

Maybe? What the heck does that mean?

"Or maybe I just wanted to know your name." he finished with a smirk.

Of course.

"I don't give out personal information to strangers," I told him.

"Then maybe we could," he stepped closer to me, "get to know each other."

If only he knew how willing I was to take him up on that offer.

"I'd love to but..." I trailed off.

"But what?" he asked me. He stated into my eyes and once again I found myself at a loss for words.

"I uh..have to.." I stammered.

He smirked. Clearly he could see the effect he had on me.

"Go back to my dorm. My roommate will be getting worried," I finally finished.

He looked around us, at the streets and sidewalks. Then he looked back at me. Worry flashed across his features.

"You can't walk back by yourself."

"Yeah? And why not?" I challenged him.

"For one," he started, "it's almost nine at night in the middle of the week. There's no one out here except for druggies and rapists."

I shot him an amused look. "I'm not gonna get raped."

"That's what all the rape victims said."

I turned around to walk by myself because arguing in the cold was not something I wanted to do. As much as he made it seem desirable with his looks...

I felt a hand grip my forearm and yank me back. I flashed him an annoyed look.

"What?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"You didn't wait for me."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine," I sighed in defeat. He fell into step beside me as I put my head down and my eyes trained on my feet.

"So, in your mind, walking home with someone whose name you don't even know is somehow safer than walking by yourself?" I asked him.

He didn't respond. We walked in somewhat awkward silence for a few minutes.

"Alexander," he said finally.

"What?" I asked.

"My name's Alexander," he said.

"Nice to meet you," I said with mocking formality.

A smile tugged at his lips. After that, we fell into an easy silence. I kept sneaking glances at him and quickly looking away when he saw me. Before I knew it, we were at the student dorms entrance. He walked me inside the little foyer area.

"Thanks Alexander," I said.

"No problem," he replied.

"Aren't you going back to your room too?" I asked.

"Don't have one," he replied. "I live close enough."

"Oh. Well bye."

I turned to go and so had he when I had a sudden idea. I turned around and called after him.

"Taylor. My name's Taylor."

He looked over his shoulder at me and smiled. "Goodnight Taylor."

And with that, he walked off campus and into the dark night.

(A/N I hope you all liked it! Comment and fan below, whatever you please and tell your friends!

So Taylor finally told mystery man her name..and we learned his! Alexander..sounds mysterious don't you think?)