Afterglow [chapter 1]

Authors note: okay, just so you know Beau is actually a real person (and he's totally sexy) (he's in the side bar picture thing) although I am not relating the character to him.

*******************************************************************************************************************

I walked alone under the hum of lampposts. The night winter air teasing my skin with coldness that chilled me to the bone.  I wrapped my jacket over my torso and crossed my arms to gain warmth. Although my legs still freezing and uncovered.

Regardless, I marched on like the cars passing by me. An outing of boys was sitting outside a nearby pub. I kept my head straight and didn't dare look at them. Out the corner of my eye I could see that they weren't at all troubled by the cold, they all looked really relaxed. As I passed them they stared at me, their eyes stuck on me like model glue. They were still like statues with only moving eyes. I felt the self-consciousness sinking in through my veins. I couldn't take their stares any longer so I pulled into an alley way. It was a short cut to my apartment but I never liked taking this route, almost everyone who goes down here in the darkness gets mugged or shot.

Like always it was dark and misty, like something you'd see in a classic teen horror flick. My heart speed up and my walking pace quickened. My lungs suddenly demanding more air then I could offer them. I kept my head lowered like a dog with its tail between its legs.

The tall buildings either side of me protected me from the wind but the cold winter air still lingered.

A clash came from behind me. Automatically I turned a 180. There was something out there the dark wasn't letting me see. If only I could turn the daylight on, I thought. I eyed all that I could see of my surroundings cautiously for movement. No further disturbances arose. It was as quiet as the dead. But maybe that was the problem.

Slowly, I turned back and commenced forward again, this time keeping an ear out. I managed to get to the end of the alleyway not too far away from where I live. But this noise made me curious. I summed up the pros and cons in my head, then foolishly rebelled against them and turned back into the alley.

"Is anyone there?" I span the cliché line.

There came no reply. I wasn't going to leave it so I went in deeper, the darkness of the alley fully submerging me.

"Is anyone out there?" I aimed at the darkness.

"Ahem" a voice came from behind me.

I spun around quickly to face the figure. The darkness not letting me observes his appearance.

I became scared; this guy was between me and my exit, what if this turns sour?

"Can you speak or do you need help?" he asked me. His voice shocked me. It was like a sweet soothing lullaby. Poetic, ringing through my head.

"Umm, I'm fine thanks; did you make that noise in the alley?" I asked.

My voice sounded so rough and impolite compared to his. It had no rhythm in it and sounded half dead.

"Yes, I'm sorry if I frightened you" He apologized.

"No, not at all", I lied, "I was just curious"

I felt so awkward around this guy, it was unnatural for his every word to be stuck in my head like a damper pedal that's down throughout a whole piano solo.

"You know, you turn heads like a latch" he commented, probably with a smirk on his face.

"What do you mean?" I asked puzzled at his odd use of vocabulary.

"Those boys from the pub were frozen like ice sculptures. You stir boys from their sleep" he explained. I didn't know what to say, a thank you wouldn't cut it.

I just stood there speechless. He sensed I didn't have a response and saved me from another second of awkwardness.

"You get off on getting on pretty boys thoughts" he started. He casually stepped a little closer to me, forcing back into the alley.

"Well baby, you've been on mine like a blistered sore"

The words lingered in the air for awhile, unanswered.

I didn't know what this guy wanted, if he was a creep or if it was his way of hitting on me.

"Umm, look" I eased into my speech, choosing my words carefully. "I really need to get home"

My voice broke as I found the braveness to confront him.

"I ..." I started,

"-then go" he cut in. I was taken off guard by his quick response. I was prepared for a deeper response. But for some reason I didn't want to go. I was beyond fascinated by his mysteriousness. I felt the urge to unveil who he was.

The light from the lamppost outside the alley started to creep into parts of the alley. My eyes had adjusted better and I could see parts of him where the light had cut him. I could now see the outline of the figure. He was slim and tall. He stood with good posture with a casual look to it. I couldn't see much of his face but he had longish, straight brown hair. He didn't look harmful, or like he'll mug me or anything and the guilt started kicking in for wanting to leave.  

He stepped back a bit, like he knew I was studying his appearance. He had deep chocolate brown eyes that stared straight into you and thick eyebrows that complimented them. He was wearing a beanie and took up the back of his head and left his fringe hanging out. His fringe covered some of his right eye and the sides of his hair covered the top half of his jawbone.  He raised the right corner of his mouth into a smirk, I instantly blushed. He stared into my eyes, his gaze going deep within me. It might had been inappropriate but this guy was hot and I regretting asking if I could leave.

"What's your name?"  I asked instead.

Suddenly, his smile went and his eyes turned cold. The nice deep chocolate brown eyes of affection were replaced with another emotion and I had never seen before.

"I'm in a bad state" he started, staring down at the floor like it was too much to look in my eyes. "Lonely, like a birdless cage. Thank the lord for loaded words and bad aim" he paused, like he was recalling a bad memory. I had no clue what he was going on about but I was intrigued and wanted to hear more. "But I think I've been singing my hallelujahs off key" he confessed shaking his head, then looking up at me, this time with pleading eyes.

"Lying is just a work out for the all important muscle in between my teeth" he paused again. He looked deeper into my eyes and stepped closer to me.

"Darling trust me"

I started to feel the cold pick up again and got the feeling that I wasn't who he thought I was and that that riddled speech wasn't meant for me. I was starting to think maybe I should have gone instead of foolishly wanting to no more. After all curiosity did kill the cat. I should have lest when I had the chance.

"Umm, I think I'm going to go now" I said quietly, not wanting to stir anything up inside of him. I swiftly tried to walk around him without getting too close to him.

The light from the lamppost ate the dark off my skin and I got out of the alley. The mysterious man didn't respond to my rude departure nor did he move. He just stood there staring at the darkness in that ally.

I ran the rest of the way home though I could strangely feel him watching me from the shadows.