Prologue ~ then he spoke

Some say the dreary weather of this town hides its inner beauty. I say, that the misty spray is full of stories

Tails that had yet to be told, like mine.

To think it had all started on a low night, is the same mystery that rolls from the dice of a lucky man, about to make a fortune.

My excitement hadn’t even bubbled, in its pot of water. That is until I could see other cars parked on lawns, a whole street away. My friend –the sociol butterfly of town and invited to all and every party - drove her mustard ford focus, which I’m pretty sure was hand painted by the previous owner Pire, her brother. But those kind of small pieces of information were rarely shared between us. 

To be true, we rarely talked at all, and I was squished in the back seat with the window an inch away from my face. Her main friends sat in the car as well.

Marly had tried to get me to join her at the sensual-colour-sweat-dance-raves about ten times this month. I finally surrendered this evening when I found out that I was failing maths. I was getting a D. The worst grade I can ever recall having.

My mood had only descended as our new neighbours had arrived at their dorm.

Their first day and they were getting girls hot and bothered, with screeches that made me want to throw an axe through the wall and hit home, where their blabber wholes were.

As Marly said, I needed to get out.

I had never shown interest at going out with all the other college students my age or above, because let's face it they all ended with someone pregnant, someone brain damaged from drugs, and someone with embarrassing pictures all over the web from 'that one time they got totally pissed'. I didn't want any of those things to happen to me.

Maybe I wasn't excited, maybe I was nervous. Who can tell the difference anyway?

Some song about dancing so much legs felt like jelly blasted from the speaker by my calf. "Oh I love this song!" Carly raged next to me. Yes raged. She always sounded angry, and looked that way too. I'd lost count of how many piercings she had once I discovered the one wedged through her wrist.

I think when someone like Carly uses the word 'love' you shouldn't ignore it, because it's just a threat within a word. "Pipsqueak." She said, I turned slightly to face her glinting metal face "mind moving your leg so we can hear it?" why couldn't I have chosen the front seat?

My foot sled on the carpet and the music increased its volume. I was already getting sore ears and we hadn't even arrived yet.

"Looks like we are going to have to walk the rest of the way!" the guy Marly claimed as her boyfriend said. I jerked to the side the song becoming a muffled tune momentarily. The car halted and I heard radio shut off. I speak too soon.

"Are you going to move or not?" I fumbled for the door handle and almost flung out of my seat if it weren't for the belt tightly buckled. I heard a few laughs behind me. The plastic struck down and clicked beneath my fingers, releasing me from its death grip and I stumbled out.

There were five of us, Marly, her boyfriend, Carly, a guy called Daniel and tiny little me, Anna.

I caught up to Marly who wasn't even holding hands with the guy who I'm pretty sure I'd never remember the name of because he won't last past tonight. "You ok?" she asked I nodded, but sighed, then jumped.

A weight landed on my shoulders, curling around my neck slightly, my heart raced, and I looked to my left. It was Daniel. "Never thought you'd be one to come out here," he commented. I shrugged off his arm, and sidestepped into Carly, "watch it," she growled.