Chapter 30: The way back

Matt waited quietly while Luka talked to the care taker, close enough to hear in the quiet and picking up a word or two. All he needed was 'a young woman', to raise his hopes a little. He heard Luka thank the caretaker, and then they left.

"I could get much out of him," Luka replied, "but it seems someone other than Robert and me visit Sonia's grave regularly, a young woman, probably in her early twenties. I could have shown her a picture of Mari if we had one. But then again, it could just be someone Sonia knew from the hospital."

Matt didn't need to hear any of it. He knew all the arguments from both sides. But taking the azaleas into consideration, the exact same color Sonia planted at home, the possibility of it being from Mari was very compelling.

Then, how come she never came to see dad, Matt asked himself the whole drive home. But then, thinking back to how they parted ways,  it would not be unsual for Mari to not consider Matt or Robert as family. After all, it was always Sonia who  made her right, and the moment she was gone and Mari was left to Matt, things started going downhill.

"Matt, are you ok?"

Only then did Matt realize that Luka had stopped the car, looking at him with a worried expression.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Matt asked, feeling extremely embarrassed for his rudeness.

"It's not important, as long as you're ok," Luka replied.

Luka was just about to start driving again when something caught Matt's attention.

They must have taken a different route back because Matt was sure he didn't see it on the way to the cemetery. He would not have missed it if they had passed through it considering that Matt was paying attention to the way so he could visit Sonia next time by himself.

Yes, we must have taken a different route, Matt thought as his eyes followed that familiar sight.

There's something that I really, really want to do, but you have to be really, really good at math to do it. So, will you help me?

Without another thought, Matt pushed the door and jumped out of the moving car.