Chapter 27: Mirrors

He arrived nearly 24 hours since leaving the Vizcarra residence. The wait at the airport terminal was calming, surrounded by so many strangers. But it was also disconcerting with so many people randomly walking up to him and asking for directions when he has never set foot in an airport before either. Research could only go so far.

Then, upon arrival, there was the matter of finding a place to stay, something Luka, the attendant, has already taken care of, to the extent of even picking up Matt at the airport to drive him to where he would be staying in Oakland. It was nice to finally put a face to the voice that sounded so caring over the phone, Matt thought, and didn't neglect to thank Luka for everything. It has been six years after all.

 Matt was sorting things out in the small studio apartment that Luka found for him. It was relatively close to the retirement home without being suffocating. Luka's phone started ringing and he excused himself to pick up. He poked his head in after a couple of seconds.

"It's for you."

That was fast, Matt thought, gingerly taking the cell phone from Luka's hand, I haven't even told Luka. Holding a hand over the receiver, Matt explained.

"I left your contact number with them since I didn't get the chance to explain properly before leaving," Matt lied, he didn't really intend to explain, "I'll find a job and get my own phone as soon as possible."

"You don't have to," Luka replied warmly, "You can use that number from now on. I'll just inform my contacts."

Without waiting for acceptance, Luka left the room again to give Matt some privacy.

"Yes?" Matt said, wondering who among the three it could possibly be.

"You jerk!"

It was Cedric.

"Hello to you too," Matt replied.

"You didn't even say anything!" Cedric yelled, perhaps under the impression that they were using tincan phones.

"I haven't thought about it enough to say anything, and once I have, I didn't really have much time," Matt explained.

"Liar. Your flight was delayed seven hours," Cedric muttered.

He knows that much, Matt thought in amusement.

"Did you go back?" Matt asked when Cedric didn't say anymore.

Instead of the usual brute denial, Cedric was silent.

"What happened?" Matt inquired.

"I was going to tell you, you know, the moment I see you again. But you just upped and left," Cedric replied.

"You can tell me now."

Silence. Matt let it go.

"It's a little... long," Cedric said.

 "Then tell me next time," Matt replied with a hint of a smile.

"What are you doing there anyway?"

"Hey! Idiot-- exactly how much do you think long distance calls cost--"

"Shut up. I'll pay you! So stingy-- "

Matt listened to the familiar squabble of Julius and Cedric for a moment, almost seeing it in his head.

"I'm seeing my father."

It wasn't until he finished making arrangements with Luka that Matt finally dropped by for a visit.

Meanwhile, Julius stared at the screen of his cell phone counting the minutes the conversation took in annoyance.

"What? For a rich kid, you're surprisingly uptight when it comes to money."

"Shut up."

"But that's amazing isn't it?" Cedric asked as he stared at an envelope from Professor Art, "he didn't even need to be told where Mari might be."