|| Chapter 14||

~Don't Chase, Get Chosen.~

~ ALEXIS ~

My phone rang with an unknown number. I excused myself from James, one of my co-workers, and picked it up. 

Fortunately, our company was able to pick up the pace even after our small breakdown five days ago. I got busy after my short visit to my parents, that's why I am meeting Xander today to sign our contract. 

I am still regretting rejecting his money offer because, let's be honest half-a-million is not a small amount, but then accepting that money would have made me feel cheap.

"Hello," I answered. "Hi." I heard a preppy known voice but couldn't tell who it was.

"Um, I am sorry, I didn't save the number-" She cuts me off. "Oh, that's ok, hon, I am Aubree."

"Aubree?" I try to remember. Oh, wait- "Mrs. Crawford? Aubree Crawford? Oh, yes, ma'am. What can I do for you?" I shuttered, quite startled. Why did she call all of a sudden to my number?

"Don't call me Mrs. Crawford or Ma'am Alex. You are practically family." She says casually.

"Huh? W-What?" Ok, she is scaring me.

"Oops...sorry, forget what I said, I just babble nonsense sometimes, don't mind me. " She laughs. "Anyway, I called to check if you were free for lunch today."

"What? Me? Why? I- I- am sorry, I mean sure." Jesus, what's wrong with me? Why am I so nervous?

"That's great. I was thinking, we can have lunch and then go to my house for you to check the rooms and stuff. How does that sound?" She asks. I was going to say yes when I remembered about Xander. He must be in his way over.

"Oh, that would be nice, but actually I am-" She cuts me off. "That's awesome. Now, come down, I am waiting for you."

What? I almost scream. "Down?"

"Oh, yes, I am in front of your office building I hope you don't mind." Well, even if I do, I can't tell my employer that. So, instead, I said. "No, that's alright, but I need to get permission from my boss, and also I have to meet-" She didn't let me finish again. "That's not a problem, hon, I already called him, and he said yes."

"Oh." Was all that I could say.

 "Awesome. When you come down and enter the black Mercedes parked outside your office. And please be fast, I am hungry. Bye." With that, she hung up.

.

.

I pack my things and run down immediately. 

True to her words, a black Mercedes was parked outside my office. The guy in a dark suit opens the back door for me, and I thank him before getting inside. 

To my utter shock, we were not alone, 2 other ladies were sitting inside grinning widely at me. I smiled back awkwardly, not knowing what else to do.

"Oh, Alex, honey, there's a slight change of plan. My daughter here," She pointed at the beautiful woman sitting in the passenger seat, smiling at me. I gave her a nod of recognition with a small smile. "She is not feeling well. Do you mind if we go to our home directly?"

"No, no. That's ok." I replied.

The car starts and the woman beside Aubree introduce herself. "Hello, Alex. I am Daphnee." She gave me a tiny wave, and I copy that motion. "Her best friend." She points at Aubree. "And also Xander's godmother. Any dirty secret or embarrassing story about Xander, darling, you come straight to me." Daphnee smirks with all seriousness. I laughed. "Thanks, I'll remember that."