Fire

Because of the last chapter, I thought I would add in Quinn and Murphy's song.

I hate you, I love you by Gnash ft. Olivia O'Brien

Enjoy :)

Chapter 28

Well, you know what they say, you miss a lot when you're sick. Raven and the others helped blow up the bridge, so if that's not a victory, I don't know what is. Unfortunately, back at our camp, death had taken a few lives, after the sickness arrived.

Thank you, John.

And as sad as that is, I'm in a great mood. Finally I can walk. I'm no longer chained to a bed because of my stupid leg. Bad thing is, it may not last long. Clarke thinks I may only have days now, until the baby comes.

Lucky me.

My body is about to be permanently destroyed by child birth, and never have I been more petrified in my life. I swear to god, if Bellamy's kid is a ten pounder I'm going to go ape shit.

With my luck, I'll be going ape shit.

But anyways, now that I am no longer useless, I am finally doing some good for the camp. Even if it is simply helping Octavia cook the meat.

"Let's get this party smoking," Del says as he brings in more wood for the fire.

A little too much, if you ask me.

"Maybe just lay off the wood, Del, okay?"

I'm polite when I speak, but the only thing he sees is the stomach.

"Yeah, whatever, preggo Brady."

That nickname will be the end of me.

"Maybe do less talking, and more opening of those legs for another criminal to fuck your ass and get you preggo again."

"Hey," Octavia says. "Lay off her."

Octavia standing up for me? That's got to be a first.

"She's right, anyways. You don't want the fire too big, so maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves."

Her suggestion gets her into shit, too.

"You get that from your boyfriend, grounder-pounder?"

Why is it that you make one decision, and you end up suffering because of it for the rest of your life?

"She's right."

Fuck me.

Why him?

John continues. "Hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well."

Seriously. First task I have, and he has to come in.

Life sucks.

"You can't take the heat? Get out of the smokehouse. You should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp," he directs at John.

Ooh, burn!

Get it? Burn.

No? Fuck you.

"Just keep working," Del says before walking out.

"Asshole," I mutter, gaining a smirk from Octavia.

"Your brother couldn't get you a better job?" John asks Octavia, completely ignoring me.

Ah, sweet bliss.

"I think anything would've been better than working in the meat furnace."

"Well probably, but that just means someone else would have to do it," Octavia responds, carrying on with the work at hand.

"And you, Brady?" He asks, finally acknowledging my existence.

Ugh!

I shrug. "It needed doing."

I watch him from the corner of my eye walk off, and when he leaves, I notice Octavia looking at me.

"What?" I question.

"Nothing, nothing," she shakes her head. "It's just..."

"Just what?"

"Well, if I were to rate that from one to ten on how awkward you two were, it'd be an eleven."

Well, what do you expect when you tell someone you hate them only hours ago?

Not knowing what to do, I shrug again, and go back to work.

"Thank you for before, Octavia." I find myself saying. "For standing up for me."

"Listen," she begins, causing me to turn and face her. "I'm the grounder-pounder, and your preggo Brady. As far as I'm concerned, we should have each other's backs," she explains. "I mean, we're both outsiders."

She's right. We have more in common than we think, which is why I'm surprised neither one of us has tried to be friends yet.

"Well, as your my child's auntie, I guess we should be on the same side."

News flash: Quinn is trying to make more friends.

Being pregnant is making me soft.

"Won't be long now," she grins with full teeth.

Yeah. Not long now.

"Have you got any names in mind?"

"Well I-"

The stupid fire I've been telling Del to lay off of, finally decides that enough is enough, just as I move past it.

Ouch!

I hold my arm as I jump back, feeling the burning sensation of my flesh being attacked.

"Quinn, are you all right?" Octavia asks immediately.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I wince. "We need to get out of here."

"Fire!" I hear someone yell as we run out.

Bellamy is the first to rush over.

"Are you both okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine," I answer, taking a seat beside Octavia.

"Your arm!" John tries to alert me.

I nod. "It's fine."

Seeing red, his eyes lock with Del's.

"This is all your fault! We told you that it was too much wood!" John begins to attack Del.

"Get the hell away from me!" Del orders.

They begin to fight before Bellamy breaks them up.

"Hey! Hey, stop!" Bellamy orders, breaking the two apart. "Save it for the grounders."

"Bell, now what the hell are we going to do?" Octavia asks. "That was all the food."

We all watch as the fire continued, burning the shack to the ground, before Bellamy pulled me aside.

"I thought I told you to take it easy," he reminds me. "He'll be here soon."

"This is the first time I've been able to do anything myself for days. I wasn't going to miss this," I explain.

"Here," Clarke says. "Let me help you with that."

Great. More medical attention.