Chapter 14: Wednesday

Novie's P.O.V

The bell finally rang, indicating that it's time for their first subject of the day. Students, who were still outside, walked in a fast-paced manner with fear of being marked late. By just a minute, the school ground, which was once filled with students and their noises, became a ghost town; like a scene in a movie where monsters attack at a certain time, so people must be inside their respective homes before that time.

I placed the book properly inside my bag and took out Justin's guitar from its case. It was beautiful, I ran my hands along its well-varnished body and it was satisfyingly smooth. I can say this instrument's well taken care of. I tested the strings by forming a D chord and it was comfortably soft — more comfortable than my cousin's nylon-stringed guitar.

I took out my phone and opened Youtube — I have a lot of songs that I want to learn saved in my Watch Later folder. I'm not like those gifted musicians who can play through hearing. 70% of my learning is through Youtube, and the remaining 30 is with the help of my Tito.

Aside from my mom, my Tito was the only person who saw my potential despite of my constant failures. He believed that I can be a better musician than him when I degraded myself. Thanks to him, I managed to overcome some of my doubts when it comes to playing. These were the things where my father failed; somehow my Tito was the father I never had.

I continued scrolling through my phone until I decided to settle with Shaun's Way Back Home — a friend of mine had been pestering me to cover this song. I guess this will be the perfect time to do it, considering I don't have a lot of things on my plate as of the moment.

A thousand tries and failures later, I managed to play the first part of the song with ease. Imagine the self-restraint I gave myself just to avoid strumming the strings real hard due to frustration. I don't know why people around me says that I am calm and patient. I never saw myself in that kind of attitude. I easily get frustrated and annoyed; sometimes I wonder which is real, the calm and collected person they see or the frustrated and impatient Novie that I always need to deal with.

"Novie?" I raised my head to see who it was.

My fingers which were unconsciously plucking the strings stopped. She looked at me with full recognition and a hint of surprised, probably because I am somewhat a ghost who decided to show up here after what? Six years? Her hair, which used to be tied in a ponytail, neatly cascaded down to her waist, her bangs neatly arranged on her forehead - I wouldn't have recognized her if not for those bangs. Her eyes got bigger than before, and her face matured. She also got taller, though I'm still taller than her.

"Yuki," I breath out. She was my classmate and my childhood friend, her parents were also teaching in this school that's probably one of the reason why we became friends — not all my classmates are my friends. I remember when we were dismissed early, we walk together and stop at this famous bakery here in Alejo just to eat cheesebread before going to Alejo Trade High School — I wonder if that bakery still exists.

"It's been a long time huh," she sat beside me, placing her brown paper bag filled with sweets and fruits. Same old Yuki.

Sea of students started to march towards the cafeteria, like zombies finally finding out there are humans trapped inside. I put the guitar back inside its case, and faced her.

"Yeah, it's been what? Six years?" I said awkwardly. Sometimes I hate myself for being so good at ending conversations; it's like a double-edged sword to me. "I'm surprised you still recognized me,"

"Your profile picture gave it away," she shrugged and started eating her snacks, she even offered me some, which I shyly accepted. "So you know how to play guitar now? I still remember how you hate those stringed instrument because it's painful."

A shy smile crept into my face. When I was young, I told myself I won't involve myself with guitars — or any stringed instruments in particular. I was so engrossed with the fact that my "soul instrument" was the keyboard, but here I am, a bassist.

"Yeah, in the end I learned how to love them," I said as I glanced at the instrument just beside me.

We fell in a comfortable silence after. She continued to eat the remaining fruits, while I read Line's book. She didn't stayed for long since they were only given 15 minutes for their recess.

I sighed and watched the never-ending sky as white cotton-like puffs trudge their way to who-knows where.

~▪︎~

It was almost lunch time already. I fixed my things and went to the practice room. I peeped at the small hole by the door, checking if somebody's already inside, but the only thing I saw were the instruments. Oh right! Justin gave me his keys.

"What are you doing there?" I quickly stood straight when somebody talked. Geez, that almost gave me a heart attack. "Ouch!"

I turned around to see who it was. "Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed upon seeing Line touching the bridge of his nose. "Line, I am so sorry," I was already panicking — hesitating to whether check his nose or just let him handle it. Just like when I hit him with my bass, he gave me a smile, only this time his eyes were dancing in amusement.

"I'm fine, don't worry." He held both of my shoulders to stop me from moving too quickly, and giving me a clearer view of his injured nose.

"It's red" I pointed out as I got lost in his black, obsidian eyes. He only smiled and nodded as he went past me and stopped by the door.

He let me in first - I even noticed how he stepped backwards to avoid getting hit again. I placed Justin's guitar beside me as I took a seat on one of the chairs scattered before the makeshift stage. This is my second day of being temporarily part of the band - come to think of it, I never knew their band name.

"Hey Line," I called, leaning on the backrest of the chair with my head dangling sidewards, watching him as he took out the keyboard from its bag. He glanced, acknowledging me and went back to setting-up his keyboard. "What's your band called?"

"After We Enter," he timidly said. My brows furrowed in curiosity; I asked him why but he only answered, "Why not?" 

I shifted my head and stared at the ceiling. Yeah, why not? Not everything has a reason behind it. 5 Seconds of Summer's band name just popped out of Michael's mind, so I guess theirs too... but why am I not buying it?

I went towards the stage and took Keith's bass from its stand. Line watched me, with his arms crossed on his chest, as I slung the strap on my shoulder. I performed a G-major scale as a mini warm-up for my left fingers, and the low notes satisfied me resulting to a dorky smile appearing on my face.

"Let's jam, while we wait for the others." I suggested and played a low B note. Line nodded and gave me a smug look as he turn his back on me and started playing.

He looked behind me and gave me a smirk. For a while, my brain sort of stopped working as I stare at his face. "You think you can keep up?"

That woke my senses up. I closed my eyes and mentally shake my head. I took a deep breath before giving him a determined look; I won't back down to a challenge.

"Bring it on."