Chapter 9: Tuesday

Novie's P.O.V.

We turned left on the crossroad and stopped in front of a small building. There was a mini bridge to cross over a big canal, the building was only one-storey high. It has three doors painted in mint green.

We crossed over the bridge while Keith is pointing each of the doors. According to him, the door at the center is where the band practices, they also keep their instruments there. The only people who can come inside are the members and the faculties.

"The door on the left is where the choir members practice and the door on the right is the Drum Corps' storage - "

"How could you do this to your girlfriend!" Keith's mini-tour was interrupted when we heard a muffled yell of a girl behind one of those rooms.

Keith held out his index finger near his lips, shushing me. We walked quietly near the center door.

"Girlfriend? As far as I know, I don't have any girlfriend as of the moment." It was a guy's voice, it was so cold that even if we're on the opposite sides of the wall my hair at the back of my neck stood up.

"You were so kind to me, and you took me out on a date, not just once but five times!" The girl yelled again, her throat would be strained if she keeps on yelling.

I glanced at Keith who was casually leaning on the wall beside the door, his expression was unreadable but I could tell he's listening attentively.

What a nosy person.

"Aren't we going to stop them?" I asked him, he only shook his head and crossed his arms on his chest.

"No, it's better if they finish this argument on their own rather than stopping it abruptly. We never know if there are unanswered questions inside their heads and they just lost their only chance to ask because we barged in inside." I thought Keith was a happy go lucky man. Who knew he could be that deep?

"Let's leave them for a moment then" I decided and started to walk but he stopped me.

"No! We'll guard this room just to be sure no one will interrupt them" he said in a soft voice so that the people inside couldn't hear us.

I sat on the edge of the flower ox and rested my chin on my palm.

Tch. He just wanted to eavesdrop.

"I act like that to everybody. Regarding those delusional dates you planted in your brain, you asked me to accompany you somewhere three times, and the remaining two is when I asked you to help me pick a gift for my sister, and when I was bored, I just want to go out of the house." The guy paused for a moment, I can hear the piano playing. "The last one was even announced in our group chat and it so happened that everybody's busy and you're the only one who's free at the moment."

Keith's nosiness was contagious that it got me listening to their conversation too. Poor girl.

"You're kicking me out of our band, and replace me with some singer wannabe?"

I raised my brows and shrugged to her statement. She's got a point there though.

"It's OUR band Maddy, OUR band: mine, Ivaun's, Justin's, and Keith's. The band was already formed before we took you in."

The guy's words were like venom that could kill a person instantly. I unconsciously hissed and closed my eyes as if the words were meant for me.

"Nobody's better than you or lower than you; we all have different specialties." There was a long pause before the guy spoke again. "This talk is getting us nowhere"

"Hey, Noob, Keith!" Justin waved at us, behind him was a serious guy taller than him, his curly hair was neatly combed, even his uniform looked neat when he wears it — a guy who deserves a "Model Student Award".

Keith suddenly grabbed my arm and dragged me towards them which made the two newly arrived people confused. I only realized why he did that when the door suddenly opened, revealing a girl with long curly black hair — oh it was that girl in the library — she was fuming mad.

The guys greeted her but she only pushed them away so that she could pass through.

~▪︎~

The atmosphere inside hasn't subsided, it was still heavy. Nobody talked as we entered the room but Keith was brave enough to break off the tension by clapping his hand once, echoing inside the four corners of the room.

"So..." he trailed off and observed his comrades' reactions when he's satisfied by it, he continued "this is our band. Novie meet Ivaun -" he pointed at the guy with the Model Student Award, "and Line" he pointed at the guy sitting in front of the keyboard — oh, he's the guy who got hit by my bass yesterday! Wait, that's not good.

"Nice to meet you Novie," Line casually said. He stood up and gave me a lyric sheet. "just sing the first stanza, the chorus, and the bridge. Think of it as an audition"

He went back to his seat and played a snippet of the intro of A Thousand Miles. He stopped for a moment and looked at me, the other three were sitting in one corner watching us expectantly.

"You'll go first so that I could find your key," he said and gave me a go-signal.

He could've just asked me what my key is.

I took a large amount of air and exhaled all the nervousness out before singing.

This guy's sense of hearing was incredible! After hearing me sing the first two lines of the stanza he finally caught up.

I stifled a laugh when Line suddenly looked at me, confused. I got a little off-tune with the last part of the bridge. He didn't say anything, but he gave me the set of lineups that I will sing for the Summer Ball. I opened it and skimmed through it. I can already imagine myself in front of the crowd, jumping up and down encouraging people to hype up. I shook my head and smiled.

Who knew I would get the chance to experience and be exposed to the limelight, just like my cousin, even if it's just for a day.