~A Merry Christmas~

What if Gilbert had confessed his feelings for Anne in Christmas?

(This story is located in season 2, episode 6)

~~~~~~~~~~

I week before Gilbert came back to Avonlea...

"You exited to see your love of your life Blithe?", asked jokingly Bash at Gilbert.

Gilbert sighed, "for the last time Bash, Anne is just a friend"

"Say what you want Blithe, but I know love when I see it", responded Bash with a huge grin on his face.

Gilbert laughed a little, she was just his friend right?, he thought, and even if he did like her, she obviously didn't like him back.

~~~~~~~~~~

A few weeks later Gilbert was back in Avonlea, he was at school taking to his friends about his adventure, when suddenly everybody froze, and he saw Anne, she had a cut her hair, but she looked beautiful ether way.

Why can't I stop looking at her?, he asked himself, but he was to busy looking at her ocean eyes that stuck out with the blue ribbon she had on.

~~~~~~~~~

Marilla had invited Gilbert and Bash for Christmas dinner.

Anne was quite exited, not for Gilbert, of course, there is nothing romantic about that, she was excited to meet Bash.

On the other hand, Gilbert was nervous, he didn't know why, but he didn't wanted to make a fool of himself.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gilbert thought it would be nice to give Anne a Christmas gift, since he was going to her house for Christmas, of course, but what could he possibly give to such an incredible person like her?, she is different than others, in a good way.

He thought about the gift all week, it was until one day at Charletown, that in a store he found the perfect gift, a little red dictionary, that would remember her of when she defeated Gilbert in the spelling bee.

~~~~~~~~~~

As Gilbert and Bash arrived at Green Gables, Marilla and Mathew gave them a warm welcome, and the four of the headed to the parlor.

"I wonder what has come of Anne?...", said Marilla.

Some seconds later Anne came down, in her beautiful blue dress, puffed sleeved, that Mathew had gotten her.

Gilbert was astonished, she truly looked beautiful, and then it happened again, he couldn't stop looking at her.

As Anne made her way in the parlor she saw Bash, she was so exited to meet him!, "Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you, I am Anne."

Everyone was quite astonished at the little red-head's enthusiasm, especially Gilbert, which for a moment he let himself think that Anne would actually look at him with such excitement, but apart from that, he was thrilled to see her.

"Well now that we have all met, dinner is ready to eat", said Marilla happily, "Anne, could you please blow of the candles?"

Gilbert thought this was his chance to give Anne her present, so he said "Merry Christmas Anne"

Anne was surprised, and felt guilty that she hadn't thought of getting him a gift, "oh, but I don't have anything for you..."

"It's ok, don't worry", he handed Anne her present.

"Thank you", said Anne as she placed her present under the tree.

They blew the candles together, and as they did, they both blew the last one together, they held each other eyes for a moment, before Anne spoke up, "I am glad you are back"

"Yes, me too", said Gilbert smiling.

"Why did you come back?, I mean, don't get me wrong, but there was no gold, and I am very sorry if you came back because of that"

"I didn't come back for the gold, I came back for something else..."

Anne raised her eyebrows, "And what is that?"

Gilbert let out a little laugh, "Let's just say that I followed Bash's advice", and with that he smiled and headed to the dinning room.

Anne stood there trying to figure out what Gilbert had just said, and then she headed to the dining room as well.

•~•~•~•~•

After a really nice and peaceful dinner, they all said good night, Gilbert and Bash headed home, and Marilla and Mathew went to bed.

But Anne went to the Christmas tree to open Gilbert's gift.

As she carefully opened it, she found a little red dictionary, and in the front of it said, "So you can beat me fair and square", Anne smiled and took it to her room.

As she placed her lovely present in her drawer, were she kept her most valuable possessions, before she laid in bed, she looked out the window and said, "Merry Christmas to you too, Gilbert"

A/N: Hi! I know Gilbert didn't actually confess to Anne, but if you have seen the episodes before, Bash told Gilbert to go back for Anne (not literally, but in other words), so I just thought it would go best considering the story.

Comment on what you think about this story, and what would you like to see next!