Chapter Six

Ethan

The small white ball steered towards the triangular red flag and I threw my hands up in astonishment.

“You claim to be a beginner but that shot says otherwise!” I accused Hugh as he lowered his golf club that I assumed cost more than I could imagine.

He laughed and shook his head, handing the club back to one of the two caddies who were accompanying us – I had argued that I could carry my own rented golf clubs, but Hugh had insisted. I wasn’t one to turn down an offer like that so I eventually happily obliged.

I could get used to living like this, the lifestyle was rubbing off on me – but I had to remind myself of what many people did to get this rich. Corruptness and greed were two things I hated. These two things were detrimental in gaining a life of luxury, particularly with this crowd of people.

We started walking alongside the huge stunning lake that hugged the edge of the golf course. I had already lost two balls in that damned lake – whoever designed this course ought to be shot.

Hugh and I had organised this outing at the Collins’ a week ago during that night of drinks. I shuddered at the memory – Harry had gotten completely wasted and resulted in the hangover of all times the next morning. Harry and hangovers should not exist in the same sentence.

I was quite surprised at how fast we were able to schedule a match at this golf course – it was highly sought after and many had to book months in advance. Hugh knew the current president, however, making our match quite easy to book. I hated that I was beginning to admire his connections and power. I was a focused person, though, and reminding myself of why I was here made it easy to quench this admiration.

“It’s a pity Nate couldn’t come,” Hugh commented as we neared my ball. I wasn’t a golfer and this was evident in my poor shots. My golf ball had to be a least fifty meters away from his and, embarrassingly, the hole.

“Yeah,” I murmured, my mind clouding over with the mere mention of him.

Things had changed for good yesterday – there was no going back. We had both said things that couldn’t be unsaid – particularly on my part.

“Where did you say he was going today? Manhattan?” Hugh persisted. He had been genuinely disappointed when Harry couldn’t make it. I couldn’t help it – I was starting to like Hugh’s personality more and more as I got to know him. I’d seen him frequently over the past week whenever he wasn’t working and so far, he seemed genuinely nice. I had studied human behaviours seriously over the past few years at the agency, in between cases. I knew when someone was full of shit – and I didn’t think Hugh was.

He didn’t seem the type to be so closely linked to a drug’s supplier. Then again, what is the type? A dodgy looking guy with tattoo’s all over his body and a cigarette in his mouth?

I’d learned to stop believing in stereotypes long ago when working in Milan. I’d learned the hard way when it turned out that our main target wasn’t the balding, expensive suit-wearing, adulterous businessman, but his twenty-two year old blonde wife who had made herself out to be a ditz. She had been the criminal mastermind and had ultimately gotten away.

“Yeah, we have a business meeting with a potential investor – we’re branching out into bed linen,” I rolled my eyes as if this was the most boring topic ever. In the briefing it had been clear that Rob Foxx took a laid-back perspective on the business and allowed Nate to make all of the big decisions.

Hugh laughed and stopped walking when we reached my ball. “That sounds... interesting.” His attempt at a compliment had us both laughing.

“It really isn’t... which is why I’m on a golf course with you right now instead of discussing colours and textures... Give me strength!” I joked, taking a club from my caddy and sizing it up against the ball.