Chapter One

Harry

The pain in my arms was overwhelming and I knew I wouldn’t last another second, never mind another two minutes.

“Aaggh!” I groaned loudly, dropping the mother of all weights to the ground. Seriously, who in their right minds could stand holding those bastard things for five minutes?

“Harry, you would have lasted the last two – pain is all in the mind!”

“Shut the fuck up, Ethan. The pain wasn’t in your mind when you got shot in London, was it? Oh no, we all heard about your pain then, didn’t we?!”

I knew it was a low-blow seeing as how he had actually gotten his stupid ass shot by jumping in front of me; I should have been the one shot! It would have only been a flesh wound and I wouldn’t have been such a baby about it.

“There’s a difference between getting shot in the arm and lifting some light weights,” Ethan grunted in response, glaring at me.

Light?!”

I threw my arms in the air in frustration, causing another moan to omit from me by the action, and turned to get my water.

The gym was empty so we had the run of the place. Only Level A agents were allowed to use the gym after hours. Our Level B status had been upgraded two years ago, thanks to my work in Madrid with a mobster that had too much money. I just allowed Ethan to take half of the glory.

He hated it when I said that – “I’m the one who actually caught him while you were too busy chatting up the Spanish models during his getaway!” was what he would say.

Such an exaggerator! I had it all under control!

“Hey, watch me, will you? I don’t want to be crushed to death while you daydream about God knows what.”

I turned around to see Ethan try and tackle a weight much scarier looking than the ones I’d been dealing with.

“You’re crazy,” I shook my head, flicking some water at him. He couldn’t stop the smile from crossing his face but immediately returned to that stoic look of his.

“Quit fooling around and watch me. We’re due a case and we need to be in top physical shape, Harry. We can’t slack off just because we’re Level A’s now!”

“You’re so boring when you talk about that shit, let’s just head up to the common room and beat Georgie’s ass at darts!” I started heading towards the exit, splashing my water over my head to cool down. I didn’t get far.

Get back here right now, Taylor.”

I scoffed but stayed where I was, turning to face him. “You’re not the boss of me, Moore. You can do what you like, but I’m going upstairs. I’m missing all of the fun!” I sulked, crossing my arms like a four year old.

“I thought we made a pact when we first started this. How many times do I have to remind you of that?” he retorted in annoyance, standing up and walking towards me.

I rolled my eyes. That stupid pact was the bane of my existence. This was his second time reminding me of it today; I needed reminding a lot.

Ethan and I met during training for this agency. I had flown over from London and he was a born and bred Californian. He had kept to himself while I was the class clown. I didn’t know why I took a liking to him so much, but I kept persisting and annoying him until he finally allowed me to be his friend.

Once training was over, we were known informally as a duo. During a rare drunken night – rare on Ethan’s part, anyway – we decided that we would stick together. We would be each other’s wing man in every aspect and would remain a team for the duration of our careers. We worked better together than apart.