Chapter Two

Ethan

My heart pulsated through my chest and I didn’t think I could hold on for much longer. The frightening, terrorising feeling of his fingers slipping through mine was causing the arm that was gripping to the edge of the cliff to shake.

“Hold on, Harry! I’ve got you, I swear! Please, just hold on!” my voice held a shrill of terror to it and my eyes were filling with tears; tears of pain, frustration and sheer horror.

Harry moved his gaze from our slipping fingers to my eyes. “It’s okay, Ethan. Let go. You can’t save me; not this time.” I hated how calm his tone was. I hated how defeated he sounded. He had never given up – we always held hope for one another! We never gave up.

“Don’t you say that to me! Don’t you fucking say that to me!” I roared, a small sob escaping my lips.

Harry just smiled sadly, his muscular, beautiful body swaying in the harsh wind. The fall was so big; he would surely die of a heart attack before he hit the ground. I prayed to God he would.

No.

I was breaking my own rule; I would not give up on him. Either both of us live or neither of us would. My life would be over the second his ended, anyway.

“I love you, Ethan. I’ve always loved you, so much. I just wish I had told you sooner. We would have been so happy together.” His voice grew more emotional towards the end, and I could tell he was trying to stay strong for my sake.

That was ironic. He was about to die by plummeting to the ground from a 300ft cliff and he was trying to make sure I was okay.

That’s what he always did, though. Through all of his mocking and joking, I was always his first priority. The day I took a bullet for him, he nearly broke down in the ambulance to the hospital. He thought I hadn’t remembered that, but I did. He likes to pretend it’s all one joke. But really, his jokes hide his true feelings.

I’d never get a chance to tell him all of this. To show him how much I really know him. I’d never get a chance to tell or show him how much I loved him. How had we gotten here?

I was snapped out of my thoughts when our hands edged closer and closer away from each other. I was pumping sweat with exertion at holding onto his hand, but it was no use.

“I love you, too,” I cried out, before his hand slipped from mine.

His eyes stayed on mine for as long as he could as he dropped away from me. I would follow him in a matter of seconds, however. We wouldn’t be apart for long.

Just as I was about to let go of the cliff, I found myself being hoisted upwards. What the fuck?

I tore my gaze away from his falling body and saw George pulling me off of the cliff’s edge.

“Come on, Ethan. We’ve got you.” He was trying not to look at Harry’s body, which was now probably splattered on the ground below us.

“No!” I roared, trying to pull my arms away from the agents who arrived too late to save both of us. “No!” I screamed, “I have to be with him! I can’t live without him, let me go!

“Ethan, it’s alright.”

George was speaking to me, but it was Harry’s voice that came out. I looked at him in confusion, my eyes streaming with tears. “Let me go, please,” I begged in a whisper.

“Ethan, it’s alright.”

“You’re not listening to me! It’s not alright, he’s dead! He’s dead!” I screamed, thrashing away from the recovery team who had managed to successfully pull me onto the cliff’s edge.