Ch.10 Sand and Time

Chapter 10

"You're headed out too?" Ella asked with a little frown as she watched Maya hurry towards the apartment door.

Maya paused to look at the young girl curled up on the sofa with her textbooks and laptop. She felt a net of guilt rain over her heart as she nodded.

"Yeah, I have to go meet an old friend," she said. "Where's Mackey?"

"He had to go to the Senate dinner with Sofia," Ella said.

"Why didn't you go with him?"

"I have a final in a few days," Ella's frown grew.

"Will you be okay on your own?"

"Yes," Ella laughed. "There are guards in the lobby."

"Don't worry I'll be back soon," Maya said awkwardly as she took a step back. "I might bring over someone, so..... Just a heads up."

"Okay," Ella nodded before she turned back to her work.

Maya hurried out of the apartment and shut the door on her way out. She checked her purse one last time to make sure she still had the spell book before she stepped into the elevator and rode down to the lobby.

All set? Maksim mind- linked her from downtown.

All set, Maya said as she got into the car waiting outside for her.

Was Ella okay?

Yes, Maya rolled her eyes. She's a big girl, she was fine when I left her.

Just making sure, Maksim replied.

Is Sofia there?

Yes, she's right next to me.

Does she have the necklace?

Of course.

Alright, Maya took a deep breath. Keep an eye on her. I'm on my way.

Will do.

Maya felt Maksim close off their link as the car drove through the streets of New York. It was late November and the store fronts were already putting up Christmas decorations. The twinkling lights reflected off the dark windows of the car as Maya went over their plan in her head.

Once she arrived at the event, Maksim would guide Sofia to the balcony or lobby by saying he needed to speak to her. And as soon as she was away from everyone's attention, he would wait until Maya appeared to hold the woman down and snatch the necklace from around her neck. They needed to be fast. Sofia's guards wouldn't be too far away from her. Once Maksim got the necklace, it would be all up to Maya to set Heyder free.

The Fey spell book had proven to be very useful. Maksim and Maya went over the pages on Jinns and jot down all the notes they possibly could. Once Maya had the necklace, she needed to break the glass inside of a salt circle. It would ensure the jinn didn't lash out in anger. Maya insisted Heyder would do no such thing but Maksim was unconvinced. He was hellbent on Maya using the salt circle to minimize any possible threat or damage.

In the darkness of the car, Maya pushed her hand inside her purse and touched the sack of crystal salt and the spell book. Her heart hammered in her chest as she bounced with adrenaline. She knew her family would be upset. But she was convinced they would understand once they saw how happy she was with Heyder.

"Would you like for us to go through the back entrance, your grace?" The driver asked as they neared the block of the hotel.

"No, the front is fine," Maya said as she got ready to jump out of the car as soon as it stopped. She couldn't hardly wait as the driver double parked outside the grand entrance and opened his door. He was surprised when Maya opened her own door and ran out.