Chapter 9: Returning

A/N Welcome back to Redo! I hope everyone has been doing well! I absolutely love fem!Hinata fan fictions and I have plans to write another one where Hinata pretends to be a boy to play volleyball. I'm thinking something like the infamous movie "She's the Man." What do you guys think? Should I make that or nah? Anyway, sorry for delaying the story. Without further ado...

Read On!

After the somewhat awkward and confusing mutual confession, Kageyama and Hinata walked into the dining hall hand in hand. As they walked up to Karasuno's table, Suga gushed at the new couple. He felt truly accomplished seeing the two idiots together and holding hands. As he watched them, he knew they were a perfect couple. They both had a burning passion for volleyball and food. They were on equal footing academically and they made each other better with their competitive streak. They always seemed happier when they were together, and all in all, they are two halves of a whole idiot. There couldn't be a better pair if you asked Suga, well aside from him and Daichi of course.

Regardless of how perfect they were together, Hinata and Kageyama were both awkward and didn't seem to know how to transition from being volleyball partners to being romantic partners. Kageyama would offer food and Hinata would hesitantly take it. She had been so used to just stealing his food when she wanted it, it was odd and inelegant, but they were happy to just be near each other. Kageyama was attempting to be nicer to Hinata, but the ginger found the insults endearing. Hinata wanted to lean on Kageyama's shoulder but wasn't sure about the public display of affection even though they had walked in holding hands. But none of that really mattered. They had all the time in the world to figure out how to be a couple.

Hinata was so happy, she started to hope that she would be in this crazy world forever. Everything had worked out exactly how she had wanted it to, there was no reason to go back to being a boy. If she did, she'd have to confess all over again, and what if Kageyama doesn't like her as a boy? What if the 'real world' Kageyama didn't like her at all. She never wanted to stop holding his hand or looking into his eyes. She never wanted him to stop smiling at her the way he was now. Everything was perfect. This world had all her friends in it, all of her family in it, she got to play volleyball with her team, and Kageyama was her boyfriend. Nothing could be better. It's not like she knew how to get back to the other universe anyway, so there wasn't any point in dwelling on it.

After breakfast, each team had one final practice match. Karasuno was playing Fukurodani and Hinata was elated. First, she confesses, and now she gets to play her favorite sport? This day was shaping up to be nothing less than brilliant if you asked Hinata.

The first set went by slowly with long rallies and a final score of 25 to 23 with Fukurodani taking the set. The second set was not much different with Karasuno winning 25 to 21. The third set was extremely intense. Neither team could get more than 2 points ahead of the other. Hinata was very impressed with the way both teams were playing, clearly, the training camp had made a huge difference. Hinata and Kageyama were making full use of their FWOOSH quick attack, but it looked like Bokuto and Akaashi had been working hard too. Bokuto was spiking the ball full force. A few times Hinata thought that trying to receive the spike might make her arm come clean off. The teams were tied at 16 when it happened. Bokuto had a killer spike, and Hinata, too close to the net to use her arms, turned her head to receive it with her face. This had worked before, so she expected it to work now. The ball seemed to move in slow motion as Hinata prepared for the impact, and then,

Hinata woke up in the nurse's office. Blinking his eyes open he saw Kageyama asleep sitting next to him and holding his hand.

He took in the familiar surroundings and was curious about where he was. He knew this was the nurse's office at Karasuno, but wasn't sure if this was a dream, the real world, the alternate universe, or maybe it was a new alternate universe. He knew he was a boy now, so that eliminated some of the options, but after everything that had happened recently, he'd need a bit more information to secure an answer. Kageyama being there was all too similar to the dreams from the "girl-world" but was it really a dream? Perhaps they were glimpses into his real life in the first universe. Hinata decided that all this multiple universe stuff was just way too confusing, and he could figure it out later. Ultimately, Kageyama was holding his hand so he figured it might be best to at least say something, "Kageyama?" He spoke surprisingly softly as Kageyama began to slowly wake up. Once Kageyama's eyes were open and he was able to register his surroundings he remembered he was holding Hinata's hand and swiftly removed it.

Hiding both hands behind his back and open his eyes extremely wide, Kageyama feigned confidence and joked, "'Bout time you woke up, Dumbass." Hinata noticed the bright red that began to take over Kageyama's face as they acknowledged each other. Based on Kageyama's reaction, Hinata decided that this was the real world. Kageyama was not expecting Hinata to launch himself at the setter and wrap his arms around the taller boy's waist. Kageyama was, of course, startled at first and Hinata could feel how tense he was. Eventually, he settled into the hug and wrapped his arms around in return. "Are you okay, Dumbass?"

"Now I am." 

938 Words

A/N Sorry for the shorter chapter, I didn't want to just write filler so I decided to leave it at this length. There is one more actual chapter after this one that I'll post next week probably. Do you guys want a sort of epilogue?

Thank you all so much for reading and supporting my procrastination. I'm glad you guys have been enjoying my amateur fanfiction about these volleyball idiots. Thank you for all the votes and comments!!