Chapter 1: The realization

A/N I know my characterization is going to be a bit off as I'm not the one who made these characters to begin with. I just thought this would be more fun than my reflection essays that are due at midnight. Besides, it's fanfiction, I'll try my best. Let me know how I can do better. Thank you!

READ ON!

Another day, another practice match. It had been a while since coach Ukai had brought the neighborhood association team to play against them, and the Karasuno boys were looking forward to showing off everything they had learned over the past few months. Coach Ukai decided it would be interesting to mix the teams together. This meant that on one side of the court there was Hinata, Kageyama, Tanaka, Ennoshita, Asahi, and someone from the neighborhood association team, on the other side Suga, Daichi, Nishinoya, Tsukishima, and two other members from the association team set up to play. They were planning on having a few practice matches so that everyone would have a chance to play.

Hinata was energetic as always after his team had won the first set earning sneers from Tsukishima as the second set began. Irritated he loomed over the Hinata glaring and casting a shadow on the brighter side of the court. Suga was up to serve. The team mom had been practicing a jump serve to prove he was still useful even if Kageyama was a better setter being the prodigy that he was. Hinata knew this but was too distracted by the bean pole hovering over him menacingly that he wasn't ready to receive the ball. The ball slammed into his face knocking him over, and everyone paused as the ginger's head moved quickly towards the floor.

"SMAKK!!!"

It would've been comical if Hinata had bounced back up as he usually did.

Instead, he lay motionless in the middle of the court. A symphony of "Pay attention, Dumbass!!!", "ARE YOU OKAY?!?!?!", and "SOMEONE GET TAKEDA-SENSEI!" whirled around him as he saw blurry figures moving closer until suddenly everything went black.

The next thing he knew, Hinata was waking up in his bed. He remembered getting a ball to the face and becoming unconscious, but his head didn't hurt as he expected it to. In fact, Hinata felt perfectly normal. Oblivious as he was, he assumed it was just a dream. He threw on his school uniform, grabbed a quick breakfast, and yelled his goodbyes to his mom and sister before he hopped on his bike ready to practice volleyball like he did every day. After locking up his bike he began bouncing towards the gym as he saw Kageyama walking in the same direction. As per his daily routine, Hinata sprinted past the setter expecting their usual race, but Kageyama wasn't catching up, in fact, he was still just walking. Hinata looked back at him in confusion only to see a look of confusion on the other boy's face as well.

"Why didn't you race me?" Hinata questioned the other.

"Why would I?" Kageyama responded furrowing his eyebrows together looking completely lost.

"I thought you liked to win!"

"Doesn't everyone?"

From Kageyama's perspective, a random girl with the brightest orange hair had just sprinted past him in a blur, then proceeded to ask why he didn't race. Kageyama had never been so confused. Not knowing what to do he continued to walk next to the girl in silence as they seemed to be going in the same direction. Who is this girl? Why is she acting like she knows me? He thought to himself. As they approached the gym he wondered if this girl was meant to be a new manager for the team because she never turned a different way.

Hinata was, for lack of a better word, an idiot. He assumed Kageyama was just acting weird today as he did every so often and allowed the walk to be quiet. While he wasn't speaking, he continued to bounce on his toes excited for the Volleyball practice to come.

As they entered the gym most of the team was already there. After noticing the two had entered, Tsukishima taunted Kageyama asking "Who's your girlfriend?" Kageyama blushed fiercely in a way Hinata never imagined possible. Tsukishima only ever referred to Hinata as Kageyama's boyfriend in his taunts, so, in a way that only Hinata could, the taunt was misinterpreted as a genuine question. Turning to point at the now pink-skinned spiker, Hinata widened his eyes and practically yelled, "Bakayama has a girlfriend?! Bakayama has feelings for another human and not just volleyball?!"

Kageyama's face burned bright red as he pulled up his hands to cover his embarrassment. "She's not my girlfriend... I just met her..." he  mumbled from behind his palms as Tsukishima let out a snicker and a quiet "Bakayama?" under his breath.

By that time, the encounter had caused a scene and when Hinata asked what girl they were talking about the only response he received was from Sugawara asking sweetly, "Did Kiyoko ask if you were interested in being a manager?"

"That's really funny, obviously I'm here for practice." Hinata giggled and forgot about the previous topic.

Daichi looked at Hinata confused and said, "Well, the girls' team practices in Gym 5. I can show where that is if you want."

"Huh?!?!"

A second later Tanaka and Nishinoya walked in startling Hinata with the immediate question from Tanaka, "Who's the chick?" was spoken in a slightly sing-songy way while putting himself mere inches away from Hinata's face while Nishinoya attempted to get a closer look.

"Senpais?" Hinata muttered. The two second years immediately blushed and began gushing in a cartoonish manner.

"Ok. Settle down. I'll lead her to the girl's practice while you all warm-up." Suga had interjected only confusing Hinata more as he placed a hand on Hinata's back ushering him out of the gym.

As they walked to the other gym Suga smiled sweetly and asked, "So, what's your name?"

After a few moments of silent confusion, Hinata stopped in his tracks and finally spoke, "What is going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean why is everyone treating me like a girl?! It's me Hinata! You know, 'The Greatest Decoy', Shoyo, Kageyama usually calls me Dumbass! Why are you acting like you don't know me?"

"Because I don't? I mean, I've seen you around school, with your hair, you're kind of hard to miss. But I've never really met you. Which reminds me, you can call me Suga if you'd like. Anyways, if you want to play volleyball, I can still take you to where the girl's team practices. I'm sure they'll let you join even if it's the middle of the year."

As Suga finished, the realization finally hit Hinata. He was now a She, and no one from his, well her, volleyball team knew who she was.

She needed a plan. Boy or girl, she knew who her team was, and there was no way she'd give up without a fight. 

1111 words.

A/N I have some more of this planned out and written-ish. Let me know if you want to read more. I'm open to any suggestions, I just thought this would be something fun and different to do. Thank you for reading!!