C h a p t e r 4 8

The sound of my ringtone gradually filled my ears, forcing my consciousness up as the volume increased

The sound of my ringtone gradually filled my ears, forcing my consciousness up as the volume increased. Dahan-dahan kong inimulat ang aking mga mata. Anong oras na kaya? Alas kwatro na akong naka-uwi kahapon, pero sigurado ako, hanggang ngayon mayroon paring mga nagiintercede doon sa hall hanggang ngayon.

Once more the phone rang, and with this, I released a long breath, searching for my phone among the sheets. Agad ko itong sinagot nang makita ang salitang 'lola' sa screen.

"Good morning, 'la,"

"Leah," Immediately I heard the urgency in her voice. Nangunot ang noo ko.

"Bakit po?"

"Turn your television on right now," I heard her say.

"Ho?"

"Just do it,"

Dali-dali akong bumangon mula sa kama at nagtungo sa sala. With a quick press on the remote, the TV came to life. The news was on, and the more I listened, the more my eyes widened. Nasa Taylor's Apartments Hall ang anchor, currently reporting what was happening behind her.

"Kitang-kita po natin ngayon na isang malaking 'spiritual awakening', ika nga, ang siyang nagaganap sa isang hall dito sa Barangay Pinegrove Baguio City. Dito ang sinasabi ng karamihan na lugar kung saan nagsimula ang tila ba isang alon ng pagkilos ng Panginoon. Kung makikita nga natin ..."

I could clearly see the people on the background, the echo of their cries and prayers heard even as the anchor spoke. My heart raced. The hall was fully packed, and I'm sure, even the outside was filled with people.

I took in a breath and changed the channel. At sa pagkalipat ko nito ay bumungad naman ang isa pang reporter, now standing before a place I soon came to recognize - Melvin Jones.

Naramdaman ko ang pagtulo ng luha mula sa aking mga mata, for behind the reporter was a crowd of people - A crowd of people in worship. The whole field was packed with people crying - even as the sun blazed, even as heat prepared to ravage the air, people stood and knelt on their places, all seeming hungry to be made right with God.

Ilang segundo akong tulala, trying my best to comprehend all that was happening. The Fear of God began to grip my being, one as I have experienced last night, and I felt my being moved to tears. Ini-angat kong muli ang telepono sa aking tainga.

"Lola?"

"Apo? Nakita mo ba? Hindi ba't yung lalakeng sinasabi leader ng nangyayari ngayon ay isa sa mga nagsimula ng occult activity sa school natin noon?"

I wiped the tears from my face, taking a breath before I spoke, "Lola, this is not about religion anymore," I breathed, "Not about any denomination. This does not concern doctrines. Lola, revival has broken out!"

"What do you mean 'revival', apo?" I heard her voice rise, "How can revival come through a group of occult? Can't you see? This is a countefiet! The leaders of that 'movement' haven't even gone to Bible School! A bunch of theologicaly ignorant kids which are your age!" I was taken aback as I heard her speak. Since when was education and age a requirement  for being used by God?