Chapter 71: Progress

I decided it would be a good idea to take the kids to help out the new Women and Children shelter I recently opened up. I know that they are really young but I don't think it's ever too early to teach kids how to serve others.

I hand a toy fire truck to my son, "Go give this truck to that little boy Luca".

He takes the toy from me and runs to the sick looking child with bright red hair. Luca hands the boy the truck and when the child doesn't move to play with it my son sits next to him and begins to play with it himself as he converses with the mute boy.

I hand Antonio and Esperanza more dolls and toys to hand out to the other kids. We had just finished feeding the women and their children and now we were giving them clothes and toys.

Giovanni, Alessandro and Amir come back from the truck's outside holding boxes, "if it's food take it to the kitchen. Lace and Sienna will unpackage it and put it in the pantries. If it's clothes, toys or Bibles, leave it here".

They drop two of the boxes at my feet and then head back to the kitchen. We had been asking for clothing, toys and food donations last month and with such a short time notice I never expected four big trucks to come in with donations. It also helped that Lace was willingly donating women and children jackets from her new line.

"Sophia", I turn to Amir who had a teenage girl and a little boy by his side. "They just came in, is it ok if I grab them something to eat?"

I smile, "of course! And hello, I'm Sophia".

The two introduce themselves to me before Amir takes them into the kitchen for some food. He was one of the most selfless man I've ever met. All day he's been unloading items and when he finds time he plays with the energetic kids that have been running around. He loved children and it effortlessly showed. Lace and him have actually started the adoption process and they are hoping that by next year they will have a child in their arms.

"You ready to head out?"

I smile at Giovanni, "Yeah, but can we grab chick fil A on the way? I'm craving it".

He nods before reminding Alessandro that he has to take Luca home.

"Luca", I call out. "Come give me a kiss before I leave".

He runs up to me and quickly presses his lips to mine before running away to his new friends. Lately he's been more distance to me and I know that it's just because he's growing up but it hurts a little. He always chooses his dad over me and if there are other kids around he runs off with them. It was a dramatic change to me considering I'm used to him clinging to me 24/7.

I sigh and take my husbands hand as we walk out to the car. Gio and I were going to our marriage counseling appointment that we've been attending for the whole month. Today was actually our last one and I can honestly say since we started to now, there has been major improvements in our marriage.

We barely ever argue because we now have learned to communicate properly. I've learned to trust him when it comes to the mafia problem and he knows exactly how I feel about and has promised to work on leaving like he told me before we got married.

"But before you two leave, let me ask. Sophia what do you want-no what do you expect from Giovanni".

"I guess I want him to be true to his promise", I turn to Giovanni. "And if you can't then be honest with me instead of letting me hold onto an empty promise".

She nods, "And Giovanni what do you expect from Sophia?"

He takes my hand and kisses my palm, "I need you to trust me. I need you to have faith in me that I'll stay true to my promise. I love you and I want us to last forever".

I smile, "nothing on this Earth last's forever but our love can go on in Heaven".

He laughs at my cheekiness and pulls me to his chest burying his head in my neck, "then Heaven it is".

***

Around three in the morning I wake up craving ice cream cake with Pizza. And not just any Pizza, I wanted Pizza from Anastasi's and vanilla Ice Cream cake from Dairy Queens.

"Giovanni".

His eyes flutter open, "what's wrong?"

"I want Pizza and Ice cream cake".

He groans, "Sophia it's 3am please just pray and go to sleep".

I clench my jaw and wobble out of bed to put on some sweatpants. If he wasn't going to get me what I wanted then I'll go get it myself.

"Sophia where are you going".

I ignore him and walk out the door when I finish dressing. I don't make it to the end of the hallway before he picks me up carrying back to the room.

"No way am I letting you out the house at 3 in the morning", He slowly sets me on the bed. "Stay here. I'll get you the stupid cake".

"And pizza!", I call after him.

He slams the door shut leaving me laughing. It wasn't until a month ago when Giovanni started sleeping here on the regular. I thought I could handle sleeping by myself after almost five years of sharing a bed but I was wrong.

I had missed the way Giovanni's arms around me made me feel safe, the way he would give me soft kisses when I would have nightmares. I missed his presence in general, even though he annoyed the crap out of me.

I sit on the bed reading the Bible until Giovanni finally comes back with a box of pizza and a small ice cream cake.

He hands them to me, "Here and you better eat all of it because I had to wake up my staff to make that pizza fresh".

I frown, "aw now I feel bad".

He rolls his eyes, "just eat it Sophia. They got paid double anyways".

I eat in silence as I watch him crawl back to his side of the bed. He looked exhausted and their were bags under his bloodshot eyes. He's been stressed out recently but he refuses to tell me about what until I gave birth.

"Gio...are you ok? You can talk to me you know".

He takes one look at me and sits up in bed pulling me onto his lap, "don't worry about it ok? I'm fine".

I sit sideways and offer him a bite of pizza that he refuses. I should have known because he was absolutely hated fast food-just anything that wasn't organic he disliked. I know he always hides stressed when I eat junk food and only keeps quiet so he doesn't upset me. He literally filled all three fridge's with organic meats, fruits and vegetables because 'the twins need nutrients from real food not trash'.

He begins to rub cocoa butter on my huge belly, "I love seeing you like this".

I narrow my eyes, "you like to see me huge and not being able to put on my shoes or even move?"

"yes", he kisses my belly before snapping pictures of it. "you don't understand how beautiful you look Sophia".

I shrug, "well I'm serious about this being the last time I'm getting pregnant, so enjoy it while it lasts".

He stands up to get a full body video of me, "you say that now but I know you, darling. After a few years you'll come begging me to put another baby in here".

I grab a handful of the cold cake and throw it at him.

This book is coming to an end you guy :(

I'm scared to post the next update.