Chapter Eleven

Von's tour didn't stop with the apparently endless classrooms, it continued outside as well, specifically the old, faux church. I say faux as it wasn't a normal church. There were no prayer books or a font filled with cool holy water or colourful, nice smelling flowers or even pews for the worshippers. Von told me in fact no one came here for any religious occasion. It was simply an empty shell. There weren't even any stained glass windows. When I asked why there weren't even any decorative panes of glass, Von explained that during fighting practise, were they to be thrown at the window and break, it would cost them a fortune to fix it, though I found it odd. If they could use magic, why not repair it with a flick of their wand or whatever?

As the sounds of feet and laughter of students began to pour into the vestibule back at the academy, I was told that second lesson had finished. I was surprised at how quick the night was flying by. Von said that there was a quick half-hour break before third lesson and the cafeteria would be serving some light snacks.

"Am I hungry enough to wait until dinner, or do I go back to my room and skip it?" I whispered to myself as I automatically followed Von. Students poured into the cafeteria and a waft of smoky bacon hit me and my stomach grumbled. "Ah damn it, bacon butties!"

Waiting until the groups dwindled, Von had already gone ahead and got his food and was sitting at a table on his own. I watched him as he ate in silence, almost monotonous chewing like a cow, bored but determined to finish his meal. I noticed too that a lot of the students there looked almost as frightened as I felt. Their eyes darting around the large room and jumping at the slightest clattering sound of dishes or trays.

I fell in line behind a group of people I hadn't seen before. One guy I noticed had long blond hair tied into a ponytail with a black ribbon wrapped around it. That surprised me a little. Rowan and Dean both had long shoulder-length hair. Perhaps it was a popular thing for everyone to have long hair? Mine was just long enough to put into a ponytail. I never really bothered with my hair, it was boring, lank and I couldn't be bothered to spruce it up like Rosie did. Once she freaked mum and dad out when she dyed it green! Needless to say, she got grounded and I was blamed for allowing her to buy the hair dye from the shop when I was meant to be supervising her. I found myself smiling sadly and the next thing I know, fingers snapped under my nose.

"What will you have?" A dinner lady asked.

I hadn't realised I was staring into space again. Quickly taking in the food, I saw exactly what I was after. "Bacon buttie please."

"Sauce?"

"Barbeque."

"Anything else?"

"No thank you."

She passed me a plate and I moved on. The desserts were nothing more than several weird-looking fruits, bowls of yoghurt or rice pudding and the fruit juice drinks.

"What can I get for you hunny?" Staring at what was in front of me, I saw several drinks to the far right which gave a strange glow.

I pointed at the collection of food in front of me. "Is this the magical fruits and drinks?"

She nodded and her hairnet slipped a little over her shiny black horns. "New huh? Well, you have your ambrosia, it tastes different to each person, but no matter what the taste, it'll be the best drink you've ever had." She picked up a small blue plastic cup and handed it over to me. Inside the liquid was glowing gold and sparkled slightly. It looked like a beautiful drink if drinks could be beautiful. "You have a choice of three fruits, or two fruits and a vegetable."

"Vegetable?"

"Light potatoes, artichokes of growth, onions of life and all grown in Hera's garden. We have the privilege of them being delivered to us daily. So, how about some of Bacchus grapes, golden apples and can I tempt you with a few light potatoes?"