Chapter Thirty-six

Flanking either side of me, Rowan and Dean guided me out of the canteen, rudely pushing past the other students and standing on a few toes. Taking the stairs, immediately going left they both forced me into the administration office. "Wait here," Dean said. He then walked around knocked on Sorren's front door, "She's here," they then came back and sat down next to me not saying a word to me.

"Am I in trouble?" I whispered to Dean and Rowan, but they remained mute. "If it's the sword, I'm sorry I took it. I just wanted it because it means something to me. I can give it back if you want me to."

"It's not the sword, Verity," Rowan said softly. "It's-."

"Rowan," Dean warned. "Keep your mouth shut."

Rowan sighed frustratingly and crossing his arms and legs looked away, staring at the floor. The receptionist tried to ignore us, but from the corner of my eye, I kept catching her looking at me. And I was getting annoyed.

"If it's not the sword, please tell me something," I begged. "If it's about what happened last night?" Rowan fidgeted. "Dean, what do you want me to say?"

"The truth," he muttered.

"You told me not to say anything." Rowan hissed.

Mrs Hatchett coughed and both of them went silent.

There was a knock on the door that made the boys jump.

"Yes?" Mrs Hatchett sang. The door opened and Lauri stood there staring at the three of us.

Frowning he asked, "What are you doing here?" All questions as to what he needed in the first place had gone from his mind.

I shrugged. "They dragged me here against my will. What are you doing here?" Lauri and I settled for a mutual understanding to not like one another. We were classmates and that was that. There would be no need to speak to one another unless it was to borrow a pencil. But as this wasn't in class, Lauri had an opportunity to poke his nose where it didn't belong.

"I wanted to speak to the headmaster about something, not that it's got anything to do with you." Lauri nodded at me sword. "Why have you got that?"

"Mr McCoy," Mrs Hatchett sighed despairingly, saving me the good grace of explaining why Dean and Rowan gave me the sword... which reminded me I needed to ask them why they went into my room in the first place. "The headmaster is busy at the moment in time. Please, can you come back later?"

"How much later?" He asked still glaring at my sword.

Glaring at him she spoke as though spitting daggers. "At lunch. And close the door on your way out."

After another second staring at me, Lauri closed the door. I rounded quickly on the boys. "Why did you give me this sword and on another note, how did you get into my room? You aren't allowed?"

Rowan gave Dean a smarmy look. "Told you she'd get mad. Actually, we spoke to Fraya. She found it under your bad and passed it to me."

I nodded. "Okay, thank you for not routing through my underwear-"

Both he and Dean turned. "You keep your underwear under the bed."

"Forget that," I blushed, "why did you give me the sword?"

"No comment," Dean sighed. "Look, please stop asking questions. We can't say anything, so stop asking."

After about twenty minutes of sitting there in silence, the door opened and who I saw surprised me. "Xelphus!"

He frowned. "That's Master Xelphus to you, child," he snapped. "Does she know?" he asked the boys. They silently shook their head. "Good. Miss Hobbs," he gestured for me to go inside. Dean and Rowan didn't get up with me and I went inside and was surprised again to see Hadriana from the T.A.T who had taught us magic, along with Sorren who was pacing back and forth looking agitated.