Chapter Thirty-two

Xelphus paced furiously back and forth in front of me. His wings swept up a considerable amount of dust. It was nearly four in the morning and I was ready for bed. We were given a bottle of ambrosia hot soup and bread and butter, which made us feel a lot better. But then when Dean and Rowan were called into this office, I realised why. I was in here for a telling off.

Though I kept my eyes on the old paving slabs that coated the floor of a small office in the back of the cathedral, I couldn't help but glance up occasionally at Master Xelphus. He was a very intimidating gargoyle and someone you didn't want to get angry, but too late.

It was rather draughty in this office that was decorated with golden crosses, pictures of Jesus and Mother Mary and several volumes of bibles, other paperwork and community posters. I glanced to the small electric heater and I wished that he would turn it on. I had been sitting on an uncomfortable chair for the better part of half an hour. I'd heard nothing of Erik, Carmen or Willow but had heard Dean and Rowan getting a royal rollicking, the words 'irresponsible', 'reckless' and 'foolish' echoed down the whistling cold cathedral. And after a grating, it was my turn.

"What possessed you?" he had begun but I couldn't really answer him as I wasn't sure what he was referring to. "Going to a mansion like that?" Again, I had nothing to say to him. "Two of your friends could have died." Still remained silent. They weren't my friends. They were other gargoyles Headmaster Sorren had put with me. "And you're a first year!" he exclaimed. "Your headmaster must be an idiot, putting you in such danger." He stopped pacing and I finally looked up to meet his eyes. "Have you anything to say in your defence?"

"Tara said I was a watcher."

"I beg your pardon? Who's Tara?"

"Tara, the leader of the T.A.T. said I was a watcher," I repeated and his face went white. "That's why I was sent to the mansion, that's why I went back inside. Even after you told me to stay by the bus, I felt like I had to do something. And if I hadn't... those demons would have killed the others. I don't know how I did it but I... I caused the light that destroyed them."

"Really?" He lent back on a small desk and folded his arms. "And I'm supposed to believe this?"

I shrugged. "If you want to."

"If I want to?" he asked incredulously. "Miss Hobbs. Tonight you and your friends have caused a lot of trouble. Because of you, we've had to abandon no less than three demon hunts. So who knows how many humans have been attacked this night. As you are a first-year I'll illuminate the severity of your actions. You have-" there was a knock at the door. "What?" he snapped.

The door opened and a gargoyle poked his horny head through, "Sir, Headmaster Sorren has finally arrived."

"Fine." Master Xelphus went to the door and pulling it back barked at me. "You, get out!" Feeling dejected, I left the office. "Take her to the kitchens. She can do something useful for Miggy while I speak to her headmaster."

"Sir." I was led down a tight spiral staircase to the cathedrals' kitchens by a very bulky winged gargoyle. I instantly got the impression that humans didn't know about this place as the walls were lined with tapestries of gargoyles fighting demons and helping humans in distress. The opened the doors for me and he pointed inside. "Stay here until someone calls for you."

"Oy Hans. What is she doing in here?" A slender gargoyle with a rather long pointy tail, stormed over to him, her hands on her hips.

"Xelphus wants her to help you, Miggy."

"She help me? Ridiculous! Never been so insulted," she glared.

"Don't complain. She won't be here long." He turned and left without another word.