Ch. 25: The Triumph of the Skies (Christmas, Part III)

"Shit, I thought I pressed call, not facetime. Damnit, I didn't want you to see me like this," Charlie said, which were the first words out of his mouth, not an explanation of why he called Theo.

"For what it's worth, I can't really see you that well because it's so dark where you are. Would you mind turning on a light?"

"I'm a bit of a mess. I was drinking and..."

"I don't care," Theo responded, quickly and firmly. "I've missed seeing your face."

"Can't say no to you, babe," Charlie replied as he shifted and got up out of bed to flip the light switch across the room. As the boy returned to his hotel room bed, Theo realized just how intoxicated the other boy must be to have called him babe.

"So, why did you call me?" Theo inquired, not trying to sound too desperate in his tone.

"I missed seeing your face, too."

"Is that the only reason?"

"I hooked up with a boy tonight."

"Oh, I'm, uh, glad you're rebounding after Lucas so quickly... but, wouldn't Eva or Julia or, I don't know, Nolan, be a better person to talk to about this?" Theo didn't want to let on that he already knew about this boy through his cyber-stalking and he also stopped himself from inquiring which exact definition of hookup Charlie was using.

"You seriously think a hetero boy would be a better person to talk to about boys than a fellow homosexual?"

"Better than your ex."

Charlie winced at that remark, "I've never been known for making wise choices. But, that's why I called you. I was going to take him back here to my room, but I got to the door and I just couldn't."

"Still hung up on Lucas?"

"Nah, don't think that's it. So how'd your date with Thierry go?" Charlie asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Not much to say."

"I can't believe that."

"I met him in Paris, we took the train back, and we had coffee. Not much to write, or facetime, home about."

"You don't see your first crush, first love, in like five years and that's all that you do?" Charlie queried, somewhat shocked.

"How did we even get to talking about me? You called to brag about your love life. And, by the way, Thierry wasn't my first love or even first crush."

Charlie let out a noise of protest at the word brag. "I did not call to brag about anything. I'm incapable of thinking of anybody but you, that's why I called—wait, so who's your first love then?"

"My god, Charles. You're so oblivious. It's always and will always be you. We've been over this."

"But we're 'bad for each other,' right?"

"Says who?"

"Says you."

"Oh, right, I did say that. Wait, did you say you called because you can't stop thinking about me."

"Never have been Well, there was a time with Lucas when I thought I might, but no, never."

"I've never stopped thinking about you either."

"We hurt each other, though. I can't stand the thought of hurting you any more than I already have."

"I know the feeling. Listen, Charlie, I fucked up breaking things off. I left you isolated when you needed someone, needed me, the most and I'm so, so sorry for that."