Chapter Three; Come To Dinner

We've been living in Jefferson for about two months now. Coy and Briar are loving it here. Briar wants to play soccer with a couple of his friends, but I can't afford it without getting another job. I'm thinking about bar tending on the weekends, that's how I made my way through college. I just have to find a baby sitter for the boys.

"Mommy, is it time ta go yet?" Coy asked from the doorway of my office.

I looked over at the clock and it was almost four, "It sure is. Do you want to go out to eat tonight?" I asked Coy.

"Where at?" He asked.

"The diner." I said. It's cheap but the food is beyond amazing and I really don't want to cook tonight.

Coy nodded his head with a smile, "Alright, go ask Bry." I said. Coy ran back to the gym.

My cell started vibrating like crazy signaling that someone was calling me. Miss Becky, why would she be calling?

"Hello?" I asked.

"Bailie, do you and the boys have plans tonight?" Becky asked.

"We were going to go to the diner for dinner. Why do you ask?" I asked.

"Come here for dinner instead. I'm having a little get together. Me, my boys, their father, and you and the boys, if you'd like to come?" Becky said.

"Hold on, I'll ask them." I said walking out to the gym, "Boys, instead of the diner do you wanna go to Miss Becky's  dinner?" I asked.

"Yes!" They both said excitedly at the same time.

I lightly laughed, "If you didn't hear we'd love to come to dinner." I said.

"Great! You can finally meet Brantley and Kolby when he's not half asleep." Becky said with a slight laugh.

"I look forward to it. What time is dinner?" I asked.

"Seven. Brantley should be here about six thirty or so, but please feel free to get here whenever." Becky said.

"Alright, we'll probably be there around six. I have to go home, shower, and change then we'll be on our way." I said.

"Alright, we look forward to seeing you." Becky said.

"You too, Miss Becky." I said and we ended our conversation.

"Come on boys, time to go." I said.

-

We were on our way to Becky's house. Both boys had also changed clothes because they didn't want to wear their school clothes to Becky's.

"Do you know what Miss Becky is makin for dinner?" Briar asked.

"I didn't ask. I'm sure you'll like it though." I said knowing he's not very picky.

Briar shrugged, "Probably."

"Mommy, I need to use the bathroom." Coy said.

I sighed, "We're almost there. Just hold it." I said looking at him in the rearview mirror.

He nodded and continued his little pee-pee dance.

-

I pulled into Becky's driveway and looked around the yard, it was just like any neighborly front yard. The grass was mowed, the shrubs were trimmed, the flowers were neat, and it was very welcoming.

"Come on, mommy! I gotta go!" Coy said bouncing in his seat.

"Alright, alright, I'm comin." I said gettin out of the car. I helped Coy out of his seat, Briar closed the door, and we walked up to the house. Coy rang the door bell and we waited for someone to answer the door.