Chapter Two; First Days

6:20am is too early for anyone. Briar was downstairs eating his bowl of cereal, I was trying to get Coy to put his jeans on, and I still needed to brush my hair. I don't have to dress fancy for my job I'm a high school gym teacher, Nike exercise pants, a under armor shirt, and a pair of tennis shoes.

"Aunt Bai! I gotta go outside or I'm gonna miss the bus!" Briar yelled upstairs.

I looked out Coy's window and I could see the driveway from here, "Alright! I can see you from Coy's room!" I yelled back down.

"I love you!" He yelled up.

"I love you, too, Bry. Have a good first day and remember bus 350 is gonna bring you to the high school." I told him even though I know someone at the school will help him out.

"I know! See ya later." He said.

"See ya!" I said and watched him walk out to the end of the driveway and finished getting Coy ready.

"I don't wanna go ta school." Coy said.

I sighed, "You have too, Coy. It's the law." I said.

"I don't like the law." He said.

I just shook my head, "Come on, we have to go watch Bry get on the bus." I said grabbing his hand and leading him downstairs.

Coy and I walked out onto the front porch and waited for Briar's bus, "Can I go stand with Briar?" Coy asked.

I nodded, "Yes, but you don't step one foot in the road." I said strictly.

Coy nodded and ran down to Briar. I have no idea what they were doing I mean what can a four year old and a ten year old do? I saw the bus coming so I stood up from the porch swing and leaned against the railing. The bus pulled to a stop in front of the house; the bus driver waved to me and I waved back. Coy was making his way back up the driveway as the bus pulled away.

"Come on bubba, let's get you some breakfast and get you to school." I said so Coy would walk a little faster.

"Can I wear my hat?" He asked walking up the steps.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'll grab it while you're eating." I said.

I got Coy a bowl of cereal and put him in the bar stool by the counter to eat while I went upstairs. I brushed my hair and grabbed Coy's hat before heading back downstairs. I didn't have to be to work until 8 and it was 7:17 right now. Coy's school started at 7:55 and ended at 3 where he'd take a bus to the high school just like Briar. They'd be getting there at just about the same time.

"All done." Coy said sliding off the bar stool and grabbing his hat off the counter.

I put his bowl in the sink, grabbed my keys, my bag, made sure Coy had his book bag, and headed out to my SUV.

"What're we listening to for the ride to school?" I asked Coy.

"Can we listen to daddy's song?" Coy asked.

"Yeah buddy." I said trying not to think about it as I plugged my phone in and found Tough Little Boys by Gary Allan.

You're not going to cry. Jared can see Coy starting his first day of school. Coy was singing along trying to keep up with the words. God, Jared listened to this song everyday.

"Change it, mommy." Coy's voice said breaking me out of my thoughts.

"To what?" I asked.

"Just change it." He said. I did as he asked and just hit the arrow to go to the next song.

We pulled up to the school and I helped Coy get out of his car seat.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Morgan, I'm the principal here." A woman said holding out her hand to me.