Chapter 10: Reading the Thief

"That was so horrible!" Sonoko Suzuki put her hands on her cheeks in dramatic fear. "I felt like my heart was stopped when I saw him collapse after the shot! I really thought that he had died for sure!"

"I was shocked too. To think someone wanted to kill Kaitou Kid like that... that was so unbelievable," Ran Mouri replied in agreement. "But fortunately now we know that the Kid who got shot that time was a dummy, so he's still alive, and the jewel is safe too; I heard he had returned it to Inspector Nakamori this morning."

"Yeah! That sniper really should've known by now that Kid-sama is awesome and clever! He won't die so easily!" Sonoko responded vehemently. "That bastard, how dare you shot my Kid-sama...! You'll pay for this!"

The girls were walking side by side on their way to a department store. Today was Sunday, so they decided to hang out together. Actually they wanted to invite Masumi too, but since the female detective was busy with her own case, she could not go with them.

"But I was surprised to see that brat there too, Ran. I thought you didn't allow him to come?" Sonoko asked when she remembered a certain bespectacled boy.

"Yeah, he lied to me. He said that he wanted to stay overnight at Professor's house, but the truth is he wanted to go to the heist after all," Ran answered. "When I saw him on TV, I was surprised too. I called Professor's house immediately, but the one who answered was Shinichi's mom. She said Conan-kun went to the heist with Professor. Really, I was so angry. I yelled at him over the phone this morning."

Sonoko laughed. "That brat sure loves Kid's heist! But you did a good job yelling at him, Ran. He really needs a lesson for lying to you."

"You're right. I have to make sure he won't do that again," Ran giggled.

"Speaking of him, what's he doing now?" Sonoko asked again.

"I heard he wants to visit Shinichi's parents," Ran answered.

"Oh? Why?"

"Well, they seem to take interest in yesterday's heist. They want to hear the story from Conan-kun."

"Aahh..." Sonoko nodded in understanding. "Of course, yesterday's heist could be related to Shinichi-kun's dad."

"Yes. This case becomes more complicated, don't you think? At first, it only involved NYPD and Interpol, then it involved TMPD Division 1, and now even Division 2 gets involved in this."

"Yeah, how complicated..." Sonoko sighed. "I hope my Kid-sama will be alright..."

Ran laughed nervously seeing her best friend's attitude. In the end, Kid was the most important issue to her.

"Oh, that's right!" Sonoko's head suddenly jerked. "I heard Kid task force are preparing for another heist, Ran! It was on TV this morning. They said it's possible Kid-sama will steal Bellatrix!"

"Ah, I heard that too! But Kid hasn't sent his notice, right?"

"That's true, but don't you think it will be awesome if we can see him again after yesterday's incident?" Sonoko beamed, then suddenly she looked dejected. "Uhh... but my parents probably wouldn't allow me to attend. That sniper may be there to kill Kid-sama after all."

"Well, forget it. Besides, Bellatrix isn't in Tokyo, so of course we can't attend the heist if that really happens," Ran tried to cheer her friend.

"But your 'little brother' probably will be able to attend, right? Since he's Kid Killer," Sonoko grumbled.

"I won't allow him to attend such a dangerous heist!" Ran replied sternly. "I'll watch him carefully. He won't be able to get away this time."

Sonoko laughed. "Yeah! You really shouldn't let him get away! But be careful though, he might deceive you again."