Chapter Two- Found and Hidden

I searched everywhere, yet I couldn't come across that little device. I checked the attic, my sisters room, and the basement. Of course, I had a limited amount of time home alone, but that didn't stop me. Where would it be? I took a glance at the clock in my room "5:43". Great that meant I only had 17 minuets left until Emily came back from her book club. Yeah, as stupid as that sounds, she has many clubs. I beg myself to get up and search one more time. I try my room, just incase. No luck. I make my way over to my Aunt's room. Still nothing. I went back to my room disappointed. A car door slammed, and I took a peek out my window. To my surprise, it was Uncle Daniel. 

                    "Claire! Get down here this instance!" He demanded. Oh dear, was in trouble or what? I gave him a sly smile wondering what I did this time. Smoke literally flew out of his ears, and his veins popped out of his head. "I got laid off. That's right I got fired! Now, I want you to tell me where this came from?" he shoved a device in my face. The same device that I saw in the attic. My eyes widened. 

                   "I swear, I have never seen that thing in my life!" I fibbed, noticing how he didn't believe me . I don't even think I would have believed me. 

                  "Claire, if I find out that you are lying to me then you are grounded!" Ouch. Sad thing was I didn't care. He didn't know about my camera, so he couldn't take that away from me. I rarely watch TV, plus Pretty Little Liars was over until Summer. I don't have any electronics, and he really couldn't hurt me. He squinted his eyes at me when I didn't reply. Dropping the device with a thud, he marched up the stairs to his room. When the door creaked shut, I took that as my cue to pick up the device. What was this really capable of? 

                 It's slick black paint covered it with dots that reminded me of pimples. I frowned noticing how plain it looked. I climbed the stairs up to my room where I just stared at it. Frustrated, I threw it against my wall. The wall made a noise and a little randomly swung open.  The rest of the wall remained there, but a little triangular shaped door opened. Mysterious huh? Relunctantly, I walked up to the door chills running down my spine. I was a little relieved to see it was just a small room. Like a closet, but smaller. Although, it was big enough to fit me. That was it! That room was where I would store my device. Nobody knew where it would be! Plus, I could hide in there whenever something happened. It did need a little bit of fixing up it it wanted me to settle down there. 

           I found the device on the floor, and I placed it right smack in the middle of the floor. Nothing happend so I closed the door, hoping it didn't look noticeable. Luckily, my test succeded. A knock on the door made me jump. It was Uncle Daniel. he gave me an apoligetic look. He never had kids, but  Emily and I, to take care of, so it was hard on him. Sure, he could be rude sometimes, but I deserved it. It's not like Dad was any better. 

          "Hey kid. I'm really sorry I blamed you," He apoligized. Oh great, that means I should tell the truth too huh. 

            "Uncle Danny, I lied. I have seen that thing before. I swear I had nothing to do with getting you fired! I was up in the attic, and it flashed on and off. All I did was touch it! Emily snatched it out of my hands when she came home from her picnic. I don't know what happened to it after that. Well, except now," I spoke in a blur, I doubt he heard he hole thing. 

            "Claire Eliza....." he paused. He didn't know whether to call me Claire Eliza Taylor or Claire Eliza Holkings. In school the call me by my regular name, which is Taylor. By blood I was a Taylor, by heart, I was a Holkings. 

           "Holkings, I will never be a Taylor again!" I screeched. 

            He took in a deep breath before he spoke again. "Listen, as we all know, I'm not used to the fact that I have two teenage girls in my house, but I'm trying my best. I believe that you had no idea what happened to the device, but be honest with me. Oh and before you slam the door in my face, this came for you." He handed me a purple envelope. I gave him a questioning look and shut the door behind him when he left. 

             I gave a little moan, when I got a paper cut  tearing the envelope open. 

                            Dear Claire Bear, 

   I miss you dearly. I made a mistake shooting your mother that night but you have to understand. It wasn't me, I was possesed. Yes, that may seem crazy! Anyways, the jail is great. Better than the one I went to before you were born. The service is great. The meals arent as good as your mommy's, but I live. How's school? Sorry it took me so long to write, the cops weren't buying that I was trustworthy enough. There is not one day that I miss your mother was alive. 

                                   ~Love Daddy 

                 Tears swelled up in my eyes, as my lips tremble. Rage fills up in my body as I tear up the letter. I let out a screamand fall to the ground crying.Uncle Danny (my nickname for him) races through the door, alarmed. I jump up and hug him. The warmth of his cashmiere blue sweater, makes me cry even harder. 

                    "My dad sent me a letter." I stuttered, each sllyable hardly passed my lips. After what seemed like a long hour, my uncle cleared things up. I sat there, shivering my butt of, not because I was cold, but scared. 

                  "Claire, you seem upset. Come here, let's chat," a  female voice slurred. The voice almost sounded like my mother, except it wasn't. There was something different. Which means the voice wasn't my imagination. Wait.... where was it coming from?