Ellen

'"Over here! No, not under the bed! In that secret room you found!"  Huh? I reluctantly strolled over to where the door was. It was hard to notice it was there, but it was a lucky guess. "Finally! I thought you would never find me. Ha-ha!"  Was that device talking? A gulp went down my dry throat as I backed away. "Don't be sad, tell me about it!" 

                  The ground started to shake and an orange glow surrouned the talking unknown thing. A face, no a whole body appeared. It was faded, and looked like a girl. She had a long white dress, with long brown hair. She had a pink bow planted perfectly on her head. Her smile lit up the room, but something about her made me shiver. She looked familiar. Her green eyes sparkled, as she stared. I wasn't sure if she was near the age range of 12 or 14, or the age of 28 or 30. 

                   "I'm Ellen Handberg, and yes you must be frightened. Please don't. I'm here to be your friend, not your enemy. I'm cabaple of things you wouldn't realize. Just trust me okay?" 

                 "Uh.... Sure? I'm Claire, nice to meet you. Are you like a ghost?"

                 "HA! Ghost, as if! No, I'm not a ghost. What I am doesn't matter, so don't worry," Her voice spoke as if almost a whisper. "Got to go, noise." She disappered into the device, and the door swung open. It was Emily. 

               "Who were you talking to?" she questioned shakily. I noticed how puffy her eyes were, and how red her face was. 

                 "That's not important. What's wrong? I didn't know book club was that tense!" I said sarcasticly trying to avoid the subject of Ellen. 

                    "Oh, I don't want to talk about it, not even you can cheer me up." She shut the door and left my precense. What was that all about? 

                       "Psst! Ellen, coast clear," I whispered. The same thing happened, and she appeared. 

                     "Okay, so spill. Tell me about yourself," she looked excited, so I couldn't say no. 

                     "Well, I will go as far as six. I came home from school crying because Debby called me mean names. She said I was a pig looking freak. Yes, surprising how mean six year olds were. My dad saw me and laughed. I was confused, and ran to my mom. I asked her why daddy was laughin at me. She told me that he wasn't laughing at me, he was laughing because he was happy I was home. I believed it, and discarded to my room. The next day, I got payback at Debby. I stole her juice- box! That was funny! Then, I got in trouble, and my dad hit me. It wasn't a spanking really. He didn't smack my butt. He got his leather belt, and hit me in the back, and arms. Where ever he could hit he would. They left scars and bruises that still remain today." 

                 "In second grade, I got a cruch Cole Meyers. Debby found out, and kissed him on the cheek! I pushed her to the ground and ran. Unfortantly, the teachers on duty saw me, and I got sent to the principals. They called my parents, and let's say they weren't happy. Luckily, my mom was home so Dad didn't beat me. Yeah, that's right, Mom never knew. Emily didn't either. She still doesn't know. Dad loved Emily. I envied her so much, still do." 

                 " In fourth grade, Debby broke her arm. I laughed, but not close to her. She couldn't know that I laughed, or her and her group would beat me up. I hated that idea. I didn't like the idea of that, but I stuck with it anyways. My only friend was Carly. She died by getting hit by a bus the day before my dog died. After that, I never had a friend again. Debby spat at me all the time. I hated getting stepped on."

                    "Then one day, she went to far. In fifth grade she found out my dad beat me. Or at least assumed. She came up to me and we got in an arguement. She said something about that's why my dad beat me.  That crossed the line, and got the teachers attention. I ran up and tackled her. I grabbed her hair and we rolled around hitting and slapping. I got suspended for three days. My mom was on a buisness trip, and my dad had been drinking all week. He beat me so much, I almost died. I got taken to the hostpital. My dad said, it was just from the fight, but I'd just been swelling up. The doctors didn't believe him, but had no evidence, so walked away. My mom never found out. Emily was sleepover at a friends house, so she didn't know. The teachers didn't do anything, so the beating continued. " 

                 "in the summer of 2007, my dad came home drunk. He stumbled through the door yelling at my mom. He told her how stupid she was. He said he was going to commit suicide. He grabbed the gun, and threatended her. She told him not to. He pulled the trigger, but not at him, but her. I wittnessed the whole thing. As always, Emmy didn't. She didn't know a thing, until she recieved a call." 

                   "The police came and arrested him. I moved here a year ago with my Aunt Jenny  and Uncle Dan. Then today, I got a letter from my dad from jail. He wrote how sorry he was, but how could I ever believe him!" I blabbered on and on about how jealous I was of my sister. Once I finished, I realized I was crying. 

                          "Oh, Claire, I never would have known. That must have been hard! I guess I now owe you my life story." She squeaked, sounding happy, yet sad. I wonder if her life story was as bad as mine. 

                      "I was only four years old when we bought a huge house in England. It's probably the ones you see in fairytales. It was huge, and I felt like a princess."

                    "It was the late 1800's, so I put on my bonnent to go to school. School was tough because our teacher got sick all the time. One day when she called sick, we had a subsitute, and he .. ,well as you now call, "hit on me". I was confused, at the time I was 14 years old. He asked me out to a pinic date. I put on my favorite new dress my mom just made. It was covered in pink and blue flowers, with ribbons. Trust me it was way prettier than it sounds. My mom said I looked gorgeous." 

                     "The subsitiute, Robert, was probably twenty, so there was an age difference. Where I lived, when you were in love, age didn't matter. Although, people in this generation mistake love for something else. Our pinic was lovely, and he leaned in for a kiss. It was beautiful, I'll say. He took me to his cabin not that far from where are pinic was, and well you can guess what happened. I eneded up getting pregant. Father got his shotgun and hunted Robert down. No, Father didn't end up killing Robert, just injured him. Father got locked up for a long while."

               "My friend Carey told me that Robert was a gold digger. At that time we had different names for it, but it makes more sense that way. Turns out, he just wanted me for my money and house. I ended up taking care of the baby with Robert. I felt too empty without him. Then, he set fire to the house. The baby and I were still sleeping, and well, we died." The anonomyus figure started to cry.Well, at least it sounded like it. 

                 "Sorry?" I didn't know what else to say.