Chapter One- The Device

I stared through my lens into the dark outdoors of Pensilvanya. I heard a crack scaring the...jeepers out of me, (Jeepers, Hah, what a funny word). Realizing it was just my ignorant older sister Emily, I grunted and sighed. Everytime I looked at my sister, it made me feel more insecure about my self . She had everything; she was pretty; she was popular and had friends from many grades; including mine; and could dance, draw, take photos, sing, and play sports. Me, nothing. Sure I liked photgraphy, but no one knew that. Nobody even knew, for years I saved up for a nice camera. Obviously, my sister found out but swore not to tell because all the secrets I could use against her. Photography was the only thing I had in my life that kept it from falling apart. My mother died, so my older sister and I had to live with my aunt Jen. Yeah, Aunt, not Dad.

August 18, 2007

My Dad shot my mom, earning a life sentence with no parole. Sure you'd think I'd miss him, but I don't. Not one bit. When I sat in the court room of his trial, cameras surrounding the place to recording for the news, the person who was supossed to be my father, was just a shyco drunk monster. It has been three years now, but I would never forget that moment with the judge said he pleaded guilty. On the outside, I was normal, on the inside, I cheered for justice. My mom was the best thing that ever happened to me.

"Claire! Gosh danget Claire! Pay attention when people talk you! Anyways..., Aunt Jen says it's time to go inside." She snapped, turning on her heel, blond hair swinging side to side as she walked. Then she disappered into the darkness. I frowned, packed up my stuff and just left the small casibo we had outside the house.

It was morning time, and like they say the early bird gets the worm, literally. When I walked into the kitchen, there was nothing to eat for breakfast. Apparently, Emily took all the food to have an early picnic party with her friends, so I survived the morning starved. The sounds of my feet clanking the wood of the stairs echoed into the hallways. I have to admit, as much as I loved this house it creeped me out. Since I was home alone, I took that as an excuse to snoop. First, I checked Emily's room. Yeah, best sister ever huh? Boring! All I found was a stupid diary full of her talking about her ex- boyfriend Jimmy.

Omg Jimmy kissed another girl in front of me. If he wanted to break up why di-

Do I have to continue? Thought not. I giggled at the rhyme. I frowned, bored. I walked into a string hanging from the wall. Curiosity took the best of me, and I tugged on the string. Yeah, that's smart since I'm home alone. A ladder flew down. Oh, I'm stupid! This is the attic! I climbed up the ladder, step by step. In my old house, we didn't have an attic, so I never been in one. I coughed from all the dust that I breathed in. My nose didn't appreciate the nice musty smell either. Sorry nose.

Nothing amusing was up here, so I thought about just ditching this popsicile stand. A bright light blinked on an off. A radio of some sort? I gradually grabbed it, glancing for any spiders who made it their home. I continued, grinning that I was safe. The radio thing started to beep and shut off. I slapped it just to see what would happen.

"Claire! Where are you? If you are in my room I swea- wait are you in the attic? Get down from there!" Emmy (That's what I call Emily. Get used to it.) demanded. I rolled my ocean blue eyes, long eyelashes batting. Her heels made the rickety steps creak as she came up. I groaned.

"Don't you have anything else to do like sobbing about Jimmy kissing another girl?" I sneared, waiting for her reaction.

"You little snoop! I told you to stay out of my room. AKA my diary too! Wait.. what is that?" She pointed to the pecuilar device I held. I shrugged, staring at it. She snatched it out of my hands and pointed her finger to the ladder, her fake-nails scratching my hand. I sighed obeying. I wouldn't have gave in that quickly, except I got a huge whiff of chicken wings. Looks like Emmy actually was considerate in bringing me food. I opened up the bag.

"Watch it fatty! Save some for me!" I ignored that little remark and took a bite. My tastebuds cheered of joy. What did Emily do with that device? I repeated the question except out loud. "None of your buisness. Note to self... don't leave Claire home alone."

"Ha-ha, you're funny. No, I'm serious where is it?"

"Up your butt eating a ham sandwich." This was usless, I went to my room furiated. I opened up my computer and did research. Apparantly Google didn't find any results to "Little radio device thingy" I gave up and decided my mind needed a break. A nap it is!