Chapter 6: Truths Come and Go

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH you guys are the best!!! 

Thank you for your support. As always, I want to know what you guys think so let me know. Motivate me to write ;)

.

.

.

Helda just called Zeke a prince. 

 "Him?" I asked stupidly, pointing to the guy behind me. The one I accidentally almost tried to stab. And threatened to stab. Constantly. No wonder Reggie hated my guts. Zeke was above him in rank.

Ignoring me completely, Helda looked at Zeke, "Prince Zeke it is absolutely my pleasure to see you again I just ask...." her gaze shot to me and then Zeke. "How did you find our Stella?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to signal: tell her about me trying to stab you and I will kill you. Hoping he got the memo.

"Well," Zeke drawled, giving me a look. One I couldn't tell if he felt guilty. "We met in the forest and she was lost, so I helped her." 

I tried not to give him a smile because then that would mean we're in the clear, but still. Prince? Royalty? Of vampires? Dangerous for sure.

"Thank you so much," Helda was using her customer service voice. She gripped my arms tightly, trying to steer us away from Zeke. Er, Prince Zeke. I have to remember that. "I'm sure the girls would need rest. We'll see you soon enough."

"Yeah." But Zeke didn't move. He was lingering, and I felt it. Zeke wanted to say something. Our eyes met. He opened his mouth, but said softly, "Good night Stella. I'll see you soon."

What did he mean soon? How did Helda know him?

 Before I could reply to him Helda was already ushering me and Lou to our tent.  "Come along girls."

Once we weren't facing Zeke anymore, Helda shot me a reprimanding look. Deep with anger. The "we will talk later" one. She guided us to our tent, watching us as we went in. 

I helped Lou get into her bed, but I couldn't sleep. I was staring at the darkness above me. I was not prepared at all for what the night was going to bring, and meeting the prince of vampires took the cake.

XXXX

Early morning lectures are never fun. 

Lou was sound asleep, probably going to be hungover. Skye was sleeping too, so I couldn't have her come with me to see Helda. Skye was always the best buffer in all situations. She was my security blanket.

Sitting on the floor on Helda's carpet, I tried to focus on the small little fuzzball that was forming in the corners, and picked at it.

"What were you thinking, Stella!" Helda hissed at me. "Not only did you defy my orders to never leave...You met with that vampire prince! So- casually!"

"It was an accident!" I exclaimed. Helda was pacing around, looking a little anxious. I've never seen her look this worried. She never showed any worry. Ever. 

"Stella you need to be careful. Even though he is doing something for us, vampires- especially the royal ones- are not to be trusted." Helda turns to me, and placed her two wrinkly hands on my shoulders, looking at me with pale blue eyes. "Do you understand?"

"Yes," I cleared my throat, a little shaken by her worry. I trusted Zeke last night, and it got me to bring Lou back. We were on the journey to newfound friendship.