Chapter 7

Solas turned to me and stood with a smile on his face.

"You were expecting me? Do you remember?"

Regret did not tell him then. "Only that you watched Ortan and I as we left. Cole knew me before, so you probably did to. I figured you'd find me in your own way."

He seemed to deflate a little. "I'm just glad you're safe. I thought that monster had killed you, that magister."

"The m-Architect? He collapsed the mine, but he took care of me. Not even a scar!" I raised my hair on one side for him to see.

He sighed and walked over to me to examine it. Solas's fingers traced my hairline with a feather touch before quickly retreating. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "All seems to be well."

There was a full pause before he spoke again. "So, who was that man you were with?"

"Ortan? He's one of the master's darkspawn, formally called the Seeker. Calling him that seemed wrong for some reason." I wrinkled my nose.

He chuckled. "Probably because you knew another kind of Seeker. He does make me nervous, though."

I smirked. "Are you jealous, Solas?" His eyes flicked to me with suspicion. I feigned stupidity. "I wonder why I know that. Maybe I really do know you."

"Hmm, you almost have me convinced." I smiled innocently. "I'm nervous because he's a darkspawn. Is that safe?"

I hesitated to give him the master's secret, so I gave him a watered-down version. "There's a way to help darkspawn tune out the old song that lures them to the sleeping Dragon Gods." If one gives them enough Warden blood.

"Interesting. As long as you're safe around him."

"Why do you care?" Anger crept up through me. He had been planning to kill me anyways!

A muscle in his jaw ticked. "We... were involved romantically. I ended it."

"Why?"

"I... there was something I needed to finish. I didn't want you to see what I'd become." His eyes shifted to the ground, and he turned to walk to the water.

"Did you actually need to finish it, or were you just trying to ease your regret over something you could never truly fix?"

His steps halted, and he looked at me over his shoulder. "I-."

"Don't," I snapped. "Don't you dare stand there and lie to me again!" A tear rolled down my cheek. "Don't you dare," I whispered. "Not after everything I had to live with because of you. Do you have any idea what could have happened if Corypheus had been successful?"

"Yes, I-."

"No. You don't. Because you didn't have to see it. I did. I didn't just hear about it. I lived it. I had to see you die." I stared him dead in the eye. "I wanted to hate you so much." Tears leaked down my face. "But that only made me hate myself." I clenched my fist. "I'm going to give you once last chance to give up on your own before I get the world to prove you wrong."

He finally turned to look at me. Solas's face was soft and sad. "You do remember. You know I can't."

My hand unclenched, and anger left me. I alone couldn't wake him up as Regret predicted. "I forgive you," I told him. "For everything and what comes next. I want you to remember that."

His brow furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

I smiled secretively. "I hope you know better than to look for the master. I know his tricks and yours. You'll never find him or me. I suggest you fast-track that ritual of yours. Because I'm coming for you." My metal hand raised up to touch his cheek. My thumb stroked his cheekbone. "I may be forgiving, but that doesn't mean I'll hold back. Expect a war when I arrive." I kissed his cheek. "And expect to lose," I whispered in his ear. I smiled at his awestruck face. "Ar lath ma vhenan. Even if I have to be tough about it."

I snapped awake in the tub with a smirk on my face. I quickly dressed before running to the master's lab. He looked up from his notes, but he didn't seem surprised.

"I reached the Black City."

"And?"

I grinned. "If we march, we'll win."

He smiled. "So you're joining of your own will?"

"Yes, sir, though I may need to tie up some loose ends on the surface. I won't let anything slip."

"Do what you must. Then, prepare to go to march to the north. I've found his location."

I nodded before going to my room to locate my talking crystal in my pack that had sat in the corner of my room since my arrival. I turned it on and sent a message.

"Dorian, it's me. I don't have time to explain, but I'm alive. You'll probably hear I died again in a week or so, and the rumors will be true. I just want you to know that you were all my family, and I love you very much. I want you all to focus on the good times and to know that I'll always be with you when you need me." I paused. "Thank you. For everything. And try not to be too angry with him. This is my own choice. I love you, my friend. Good luck to us both!"

I carefully wrapped the crystal back up and placed it in my pack. There was a knock on my door. I turned to see the master there with Seranni and Utha. They had a pile of armor.

"I had out forgemaster make these for you," the master said. He motioned to the armor. "Meet us in the tunnels once you're ready. We'll be leaving shortly."

"Yes, master."