Chapter 9- Hypogrif (1 Year Ago)

"What an ugly textbook." I commented as we walked through the woods behind Hagrid. "I know this class is supposed to teach us about creatures, but does the book have to be one too?"

"Wait until my father hears that Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes." Draco sneered at Harry. Crabbe, Goyle, and I chuckled. Well, Crabbe and Goyle chuckled, I merely copied them.

"Shut up Malfoy." Harry responded walking towards us.

Draco handed his bag to Crabbe as he approached Harry. Suddenly Draco looked worried, something I hadn't seen in years. He pointed to the sky and, with a panicked voice, called out "Dementor dementor!" The whole Gryffindor house turned around gasping. I do admit, that was a little entertaining. How can a whole house be so gullible?

Hagrid interrupted our joy to show us a...bird? Horse? "A hypogrif." Hagrid informed us.

"What an ugly creature." Draco whispered to me. "The book was probably its child." He began to laugh quietly until he noticed I was not amused. "What's wrong?"

"We both may hate everything about this class, but I for one would like to pass it. So shh." I tried to listen to Hagrid explain the nature of a hypogrif, but Draco was distracting me. Out of the corner of my eye, although he wasn't doing anything, he was still so distracting!

Before too long, I noticed that the hypogrif was gone. "Where'd it go?"

"Didn't you see? It flew off with Potter on its back." Crabbe responded. 

"Are you okay Serena?" Goyle asked. "You don't seem to be yourself this year."

"Yeah, I'm fine." I responded with worry surging through me. Had I really changed that much? Soon enough, the hypogrif came back and landed. "Look, he's back!"

"Oh please!" Draco made his way through the crowd.

"Draco!" I quickly followed, trying desperatly to grab hold of his cloak and hold him back. Once he was out of the crowd, I stopped. I didn't dare go near that hypogrif.

"Yes, you're not dangerous at all are you?"

"Draco!" I tried again, somehow thinking I could get his attention. The hypogrif stood up on its hind legs and, with a roar, scratched at Draco. Thankfully he put his arm up in time so his beautiful face was left unscratched. God, what's gotten into me? Once the hypogrif was distracted by a piece of meat, I ran forward and kneeled by Draco. 

"Ah, it's killed me! It's killed me!"

I rolled my eyes at that. It was only a scratch. But still. "Hagrid," I looked up at him, "he has to be taken to the hospital!"

"I'm the teacher, I'll do it." He said as if trying to reasure himself. Hagrid picked him up and carried him away, leaving me kneeling in the dirt. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat by Draco's side as Ms. Pomfrey fixed him up.

"You brought this on yourself you know." I teased. I had an urge to brush back his hair with my hand but knew I had to ignore it if I wanted things to go back to 'normal' considering everyone says something is off about me.

"Oh shut up." He retorted staring at the scratch. 

"Seems I've run out of guaze." Ms. Pomfrey informed us. "I'll be right back." She hurried off.

"Great. Old bat doesn't have what she should."

"Would you be nice? You're lucky she's wrapping it. If it were me-" 

"You'd use a healing potion?" He interrupted finally meeting my eyes with his. Oh those eyes! I tried to look away, but I couldn't.

"Why do you say that...?" 

"You know why. You're always going on and on about how you've been studying potions since the time you were born." I smiled, probably blushed too. It really made me happy how he left out my father completly. He also never called me by my last name. Now that might be because we've known each other for the longest time, or because he's the only one that sees me as an individual and not just an extension of my father.

"Serena. You're staring again." He smirked.

"Oh! I, uh-"

"Found some!" Ms. Pomfrey hurried back in with more guaze and proceeded to finish wrapping Draco's arm.