Chapter 8- The Train Ride (1 Year Ago)

I sat in a carpartment with Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle like every year. Draco to my left and the other two across from us.

"So glad that Professor Lockhart is gone this year." Draco said with a smirk

"Ya, who will you stare at now Serena?" Goyle chuckled.

"I'll find someone, don't worry." Or maybe I already have. This past summer something changed. Something about Draco changed. He no longer was a cute little boy with a patch of blonde on his head. No. Something changed, but I couldn't figure out what. It's like, all of a sudden, he was hot! I stared into his eyes for a second, marveling in their beauty. Oh crap, too long! Look away idiot, look away!

"Looks like you already have." I could feel Goyle smirk as Crabbe stuffed his mouth with treats from the trolly. 

I was finally able to get myself to look away, but too late. Heat rushed to my cheeks causing an all too obvious blush. "Um..." Was all I was able to get out before the train came to a sudden hault jolting me forward. "Bloody hell! What are we stopping for?" The lights in the train went out leaving us in the dark. Further down on the train a girl screamed.

"Stupid first years. Afraid of the dark." Draco rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Dumb old train."

My body began to shake. Not from the creeping cold that engulfed the train, but from my fear of the dark. Was it really so bad to be afraid of the dark...? Well, according to Draco it was. I put my hands on my arms and rubbed them pretending to warm myself up and cover up the shaking as a reaction to the coldness. Surely my blush was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was about to walk into the great hall for the feast when my father stepped in my way. "Serena, I'd like a word."

I motioned for Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco to continue in before stepping aside with my father. 

"Are you okay? Did the dementors touch you at all?" His face was covered with concern.

"Dementors? You mean those things that guard Azkaban?" I was completly confused. Why would those things be on the train?

"I've kept something from you Serena. Although truthfully I did not keep it from you alone. You did make it a habit to not be around during the summer. Either way, a prisoner has broken out of Azkaban and-"

"So it's true." I interrupted. "I saw a poster in Diagon Alley but thought it was just some kids."

"Yes. Dumbledore will tell you the rest. Now go, enjoy your third year."

I nodded and headed into the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco and I sat in the common room until everyone else had headed to bed. We sat there silently until Draco spoke up.

"So, you like looking at my eyes." It was more a question than a statement.

"It's normal to look at someone's eyes when you're speaking to them."

"I suppose. But when you talk you're usually looking elsewhere. Like out a window or at my hair. And we weren't exactly talking at the moment."

"Are you trying to make things between us awkward?"

"No, I was just-"

"Hey Draco," Goyle asked from the hallway that led to their shared dorm. "Are you going to sleep at some point tonight?"

"Ya. I'll be there in a second." Draco's attention turned back to me. "Goodnight Serena." He got up and left.

I felt like crying. But, why? Did I seriously expect him to kiss me goodnight? I may have feelings for him, but that doesn't mean he has those feelings for me. Does it?