Chapter Four: The Hurtful Truth

I slept until one o'clock the next afternoon, exhausted from all that running and crying. I quickly ran to my house while I knew my mom would be at work and hurriedly threw some clothes, toiletries, and other necessities into my polka dot duffel bag. I stayed at the Curtis' house for the next couple of days, and avoided going to school or my house. I would walk out fully dressed and made up with my teal flowered backpack slung over my shoulders to make it look like I was going to school.Then I would hang out in a diner until school let out. I would slip into the crowds walking home from school and make a beeline to the Curtis house. As for why I didn't go home, I just told everyone my mom and I got into a fight. Which was partially true. Until one day the inevitable finally happened. I was the first one home from school and had already cut myself a considerable piece of chocolate cake. Just as I was about to sink into the springy backing of the couch, Darry arrived home from work.

"Hannah, you should probably head home. I'm sure your mom is wondering where you are," Darry calmly but strictly ordered. I knew I couldn't put it off any longer, so I started to slowly trudge back to my house. My mom's car wasn't in the driveway so I assumed it was in the barely-big-enough-to-fit-one-car garage. As I opened my house's heavy, wooden back door, a small gasp escaped my lips. The house was completely empty. No furniture was left in any of the rooms. I raced up the stairs to my bedroom? Everything was just as I had left it: comforter on the floor, bed not made, clothes thrown everywhere, and papers strewn across my desk. I closed my eyes and took a moment to let everything sink in. My mom had moved out and abandoned me. I ran back to the Curtis house, my eyes tearing up. I wish I could say it was from the cold. Bursting through the door, I was met with confused stares from all three Curtis brothers.

"What are you doing back so soon," Darry wondered.

"I-uh-well," I stammered, looking for the right words, "My mom moved out. There's no furniture left, everything's gone! Where am I going to go?" The words came tumbling out of my mouth. The brothers glanced at each other. Then Darry spoke up:

"Maybe you should go see if there was a note or something?" I got the hint that they needed to talk, so I hurried back to my house and scrounged for a note or any type of evidence as to where my mom had gone. Finding none, I trotted back to the Curtis house. When I stepped back into the living room, Darry had his back to the door, and kept talking, clearly not having heard me walk in.

"She's a nice girl and everything, but I can't afford to feed and provide for another person. It's too much of a bother that I don't need right now. Plus it's obvious that you two have some sort of 'thing' going, so who knows what would happen with both of you under the same roof," Darry said the last part directly to Ponyboy, "And I think she might be up to no good. I'm sure she has other family she can live with." I let out a small squeak, and Darry turned around, seeing me for the first time. There was a shocked expression covering his face.

"Sorry to be a bother," was all I said before striding out the door. It hurt to know that I was wanted nowhere. But this time I didn't cry. I was red with anger. What had I ever done to deserve all this? First my dad left us, then I had to leave Chicago, then my mom left me, and now the gang was leaving me behind like I was a rabid squirrel that got run over by an eighteen wheeler. I had nowhere to go. So I walked, I don't know for how long but I made it all the way to the park. I slept on the ground and used a pile of leaves as a pillow. I awoke much later and saw a blue mustang pull up.

I tried to run, but my legs wouldn't move. By the time I managed to move, it was too late. The Socs descended upon me, sizing me up and sharpening their blades.

"She's a Greaser," one spat.

"How do you know?" a second one inquired.

"She goes to my school," replied the first one.

"Let's get her!" they all shouted in unison. I tried to fight back, but I was tired, tired of being rejected. I let them slap me across the face, stab me in the abdomen multiple times, kick me in the head, and leave scratches and bruises all over my body. I figured if I let them, they might kill me and then I could finally relax, not having to worry about being a burden to anyone again. I was getting dizzy, so I closed my eyes, took a breathe, and hoped that that breathe was my last one.