Prologue

A/N: This is my first story on Wattpad, so please review and tell me what you think. Oh, and all characters besides Hannah and her family, belong to the wonderful S.E. Hinton.

I sat in my bare, hot pink bedroom packing up my remaining belongings with tears silently streaming down my cheeks. A small smile spread across my face as I came upon the picture of me and my ex-boyfriend John. We were standing under the famous tree in Macy's entwined in each other's arms, smiling as if we didn't have a care in the world. And back then we didn't. It was before my mom started getting drunk for no reason, that was the one thing that ruined my entire life.

I looked out my window at the Chicago Skyline and sighed, thinking back to the day when mom had told me we would be moving. She had sat me down on our plush, white leather couch with tears in her bright, blue eyes. When I looked at my mom, I could swear I was looking in a mirror. We looked exactly alike. We had all the same features and body type. We were able to share clothes and shoes. Random people would tell us we looked more like sisters than mother and daughter. Bu the 35 year age difference was obvious. My mom's bleach blonde hair was speckled with gray and there were wrinkles forming around her eyes and on her pale forehead. Ever since I was little I had wanted a brother or sister, but my parents only wanted one kid. Or at least that's what they told me. Whenever I brought it up, my mom would get glassy eyed and my dad would lead her to their bedroom and slam the door. I would be able to hear muffled yelling for a few minutes and then they would emerge looking good as new. But obviously being an only child didn't affect my childhood, I think, I honestly don't remember much of my childhood.

"Your dad cheated on me, and we're getting a divorce, it's my fault though, it's because of me and my stupid drinking problem," she barely managed to squeak out. "Dad is going to get most of the money and the apartment, and I get to keep you, H." H was my mom's favorite nickname for me, which I personally hated. But we weren't that close, so I was grateful she even gave me a nickname at all. At the same time though, I was furious at her for practically ruining my life, but I knew she couldn't help it. Drinking made her happy.

"We will be moving into your cousin's old house in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She had to move to Texas for her job, and very generously offered to let us stay in her house for a while." As the words escaped her lips, I felt my perfect world come crashing down. I would have to leave all my friends that practically worshipped me, my formerly perfect family, our luxurious downtown Chicago apartment, and break it off with my sweet boyfriend. I was the girl everyone wanted to be, but suddenly I wanted to be anyone except me. When I snapped back into reality, I heard my mom calling my name, and a car horn honking outside. I reluctantly gathered all my bags and boxes and walked out the front door bidding life as I knew it goodbye.