Chapter Two: Meeting The Guys

The next day was my first day of school. The school was a nondescript square, red brick building. The smell of bologna mixed with sweat met my nose as I walked in. Trying not to puke, I pulled the collar of my Chanel sweater up over my nose, breathing in my flowery perfume. The hallways had rows of metal, rusty, brown lockers. There weren't even locks on them! The floor was checkered with brown and red squares. I found my way to the main office, nearly slipping on a half eaten taco as I went. The principal was a short, squat man with graying hair, and a drooping face. He reminded me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. His office was covered in old sports paraphernalia: a jersey hung on the wall in a dusty picture frame, multiple bobble head figurines were scattered across the windowsill and yellowed newspaper clips were messily taped on the tan colored walls. The office itself was pretty big but a huge filing cabinet with files spilling out of the drawers and a mahogany desk took up the whole room.

"Hi, it's my first day here, I'm Han--" I started, but the principal cut me off.

"Yes, I know, you're Hannah Martin, the only student starting in the middle of the year," He laughed at himself, "Well anyways, here's your schedule. Enjoy your first day!" I shook my head in disbelief. What kind of school was this?! I had no idea where my homeroom was, so I wandered down the halls aimlessly. There were many people I could have asked, but truthfully, I was scared of all of them. The couple making out passionately by the bathrooms looked like they would stab anyone who interrupted. And I don't just say that because the guy had a knife in his pocket. The girl sitting in her locker humming didn't look too friendly either. Just as I was about to ask the guy eating gum out of the garbage cans, I looked to my right and saw the room. I skipped in happily and heard a familiar voice call out my name,

"Hannah! Over here!" shrieked Ponyboy. I sat down next to him, carefully manuevering so my legs wouldn't touch the bottom of the desk, which was covering in gum, half eaten food, and who knows what else. Ponyboy was actually pretty cute when he wasn't covered in blood.

"Hey," I called out, "You're a sophomore too?"

"No, I'm supposed to be a freshman, I'm only fourteen, but I got moved up a grade."

"Wow!" I said impressed. Here he was getting bumped up a full grade, and I couldn't even pass a simple math test.

"Want to come over to my house today after school to meet the rest of the gang?" he questioned smiling. God, those dimples...

"Sure, I'd love too!" I replied coming out of my dimple induced trance. It couldn't hurt to meet some new people.

"Great, meet me outside after school," he shouted, struggling to be heard over the bell that signaled homeroom was over. I smiled to myself, I knew I would make friends here, but I didn't realize it would be this quick. The rest of the day passed by pretty quickly. Most of the teachers were just as grimy as the school.

After school, I caught up with Ponyboy and we walked back to his house, chatting about school and comparing our schedules. We had homeroom and science together. When we arrived at the Curtis house, Pony just walked in, and dropped his bag right in the middle of the floor. I followed tentatively. It still felt weird just walking in to someone's house. There was a guy with rusty colored hair, and emerald green eyes wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt, sitting on the floor eating chocolate cake. Mickey Mouse was playing on the TV.

"Hey Two-Bit, this is Hannah. She's the one who saved me yesterday."

"Damn, she's good looking," Two-Bit said as if I wasn't even there. This statement kind of took me aback. I mean I'm not the ugliest, girl but I'm not exactly 'good looking.' I have pin straight, bleach blonde hair that comes to about the middle of my back, and dull blue eyes. My eyes are a little bit too close together, and my nose is too small, but that's just my opinion.

"Uh, thanks?" He reached out to shake my hand, holding on a little bit longer than necessary. I jerked my hand back, and smiled uncomfortably. He was not my type at all, and way older than me, too.

"So, how old are you, anyways?" He asked me interestedly.

"15," I stated matter of factly.

"All the good ones are always too young or too old," he sighed shaking his head, "I'm 18 by the way."

"So, how'd you get the name Two-Bit?" I asked him curiously.

"Because he always has to get his two bits in on everything!" Exclaimed a guy with a bird tattoo, as he walked in the door with Soda.

"Hey, Hannah's here!" Soda said noticing me for the first time, and swallowed me up in a huge bear hug. I smiled and laughed.

"Steve, come meet my new friend Hannah," Soda called out to bird guy.

"Hi," called Steve from the kitchen with food in his mouth, clearly uninterested. Then, a muscular guy with hard, icy blue eyes walked in with a short, dark skinned, jet black haired boy. They were chatting quietly. The muscular one stopped midsentence.

"Who's this broad?" He asked while clearly checking me out.

"I'm Hannah. I just moved here. And I'm 15," I added the last part quickly so there wouldn't be a repeat of what had happened with Two-Bit, since this guy was also way older than me.

"Oh, well I'm Dally," he said gruffly, "and this is Johnny." Johnny came forward said a quiet hi, and stepped back behind Dally. I noticed he had a jagged scar on his cheek. We all talked for awhile, until I realized it was getting dark. These guys were actually friendlier than I thought they would've been, considering they were a 'gang.' I said goodbye to all the guys, after promising I would be back again soon. And boy would I ever.