24

"You have the world before you, they are not your only choices."

"I've already traveled the world, Elena has the postcards to prove it."

23 August 2010

It was the early hours of the morning before Nik returned, Grace was fast on while Stefan entertained himself by flicking through the channels. Stefan and Nic barely exchanged words, the later bringing out the Salvatore's innermost bitter silence. Grace and Nic didn't even exchange words when she woke up in the morning. It wasn't until Stefan had gone down to the car that Nic had held her back to talk.

"I wanted to make it up to for earlier with Ray." He looked like he meant it too, his hand was nervously rubbing his neck - a rare but sure sign he was ashamed.

"Make it up? Nik you never apologised!"

"I said I was sorry, love."

"No - your reactionary instinct was to say I'm sorry but you didn't mean it."

"Well here's me saying I mean it." Nik handed her over a small leather pouch. "Go on."

As she opened it he continued. "The more we explore the more exposed you will become to other vampires." The contents of the pouch fell into her open palm, it was a ring. Trying it on she found it easily slipped on. "It's vervain infused, anti compulsion and burns too..."

Before he could finish his sentence she delivered a sharp blow to his face. He didn't even flinch. Human strength was so insignificant she doubted he even felt a thing but there in his cheek was a small red mark from where the ring has hit him.

So it did burned.

"So it's a weapon as well as a defence."

"Precisely." His eyes were wide, searching for acceptance of his apology.

"Sorry about hitting you." That for now was all he was going to get.

Retrospectively it was a little reactionary and very out of character - she was never normally one to result to violence, a friendly shove or love tap here and there but punching someone in the face just wasn't her.

"It's alright, did it help?"

"A little bit."!She paused. "Actually to be honest not really. It's good to know I can defend myself but what is a little sting and red mark going to do?"

"Love, I've been around a while meaning my exposure and resistance to vervain is significantly higher than the average blood sucker. As long as you aren't going after an original vampire your ring should pack a bit more of a punch so to speak."

"So Vervain and Wolfsbane - one for vampires one for wolves."

"That's right love."

"So two for you?"

"Neither work particularly well on me anymore love. They haven't for a long time." He trialled off, looking past Grace's shoulder as though somehow he was looking beyond.

"We should probably go catch up with Stefan, werewolf packs to find and all."

"Yes you're right, let's go."

A sharp whistle brought her pup Zeus to her side were he happily bounded all the way to the car while Nik trailed behind.

The drive to the woodland entrance wasn't that far, it would make sense that Ray would be close to the pack he was due to join up with.

When they did get out, Grace and Zeus made their way off leading the way. It was mystery to Nik how she knew were she was going. With no heightened sense or supernatural aides it both amused and amazed him that she seemed to know which was that right way to go. Instead of trying to unravel the mystery that was Grace he turned his attention to Stefan who silently stalked by his side, with Ray - who seemed more unconscious then dead - slung across his shoulder.