1 4

May 31st 2010

It was earlier in the day and Katrina Patrica found herself ildli lounging on the sofa of their adopted apartment, Grace was out cold on the bed giving off soft sounds of peaceful, human slumber. Kathrine as grateful she didn't snore, regardless of how much she enjoyed her company, the sound of snoring was tenfold when you possessed the heightened senses of a vampire. The world seemed to be blissfully quite but as she well knew, nothing remained that way in Mystic Falls.

And so when Stefan Salvatore walked through the door of the apartment she was hardly surprised.

"Hullo Kathrine."  He said with a nod of his head, but his face was weary, his voice tired.

"I'm supposed to be free of Klaus' compulsion by now."  She theatrically shouted before grabbing him by his neck, pushing him into the wall. "He's supposed to be dead!"

"We ran into complications." He growled back, trying to pry her fingers off his neck, his feet dangling below him.

"Complications." She hissed, sliding him back down the wall until he could stand on the floor once more, and loosened her grip.

"It doesn't really matter anymore I just need to find Klaus. Do you have any idea where he might be?" Before he could get his answer though, Katherine's eyes widened, and reapplied the pressure once again to his neck, as she did Klaus and Elijah walked through the door.

"Ahh, Klaus, you're back. Look who decided to come for a visit." Pushing harder she made him squirm under her hand, not because she wanted to but simply to keep up appearances.

"Come now Katrina, that's not how we treat our guests - uninvited or not." Kathrine dropped him once again and the younger Salvatore fell to his knees. Klaus then turned his attention to him, a deadly smirk played across his face. "You just keep popping up, don't you?

"I need your help..." He gasped, a hand massaging his neck. "For my brother."

"Well, whatever it is, it's gonna have to wait a tick. You see, I have an obligation to my brother and as such it requires my immediate attention."

Elijah looked to Stefan, a neutral expression on his face, "You understand how important family is, or you wouldn't be here." He gave a small smile. "My brother gave me his word that he would reunite me with my own."

"And so I shall." Klaus muttered and suddenly Elijah dropped to the floor, a dull dagger protruding from his chest and on his face a look of muted surprise.

"Now," Klaus said, retrieving a stake from the kitchen table. "What am I gonna do with you?" He muttered plunging the wood into Stevan's chest. "Do you feel that?" Stefan bucked forward in pain. "It's scraping against your heart. The slightest little movement and you're dead."

"Nik."  A small voice called out. In the corner of the room stood Grace, eyes wide but her face still half asleep for she had only woken to the growl of pain that Stefan had let out and the crash of furniture as he had been pushed into the wall.

"Grace, go back to your room."  Klaus snapped at her, not taking his eyes off of the man he was busy empaling.

"Nik, I'm not a child - you can't send me to my room."

This time he turned to face her, the fire in his eyes quenched when he took her in, her oversized shirt slipping from her shoulder, her head tilted to the side and eyes slit in challenge.

"I have some business to take care of little one so please, go back to your room."

Ignoring him she shuffled forward, taking a seat on a bar stool, taking in the state of the kitchen her eyes lingered on the body on the floor - Elijah.

"What happened to him?"

Klaus removed the stake from Stefan, allowing him to once agin fall to the floor, ignoring Grace's question

"The witches said you had a cure for Damon. Make me a deal. Just give me the cure, and I'll do whatever you want."  He said, clutching his chest where the stake had been.

"He's just trying to help his brother."  Grace said nonchalantly.

Klaus remained silent, leaving the stake on the counter and pouring himself a glass of blood .

"Trouble is,". He began. "I don't know if you'd be any good to me the way you are now. You are just shy of useless but I heard about this one vampire, crazy bloke, always on and off the wagon for decades."  Stefan's eyes darkened as he realised the price he would have to pay for his brothers life. "When he was off, he was magnificent. 1917, he went into Monterrey and wiped out an entire migrant village...A true ripper. Sound familiar?"

"I haven't been that way in a very long time."  He whispered, his voice pleading, begging for something else, anything else. That was a dark road, a dangerous one - something he wasn't sure if he would be able to come back from.

"Well, that," He said raising his glass. "Is the vampire I can make a deal with. That is the kind of talent that I can use when I leave this town."

Grace watched the interaction intently, in a macabre way she was enjoying it, before her ladies an intricate game - one Nik seemed well versed in.

"Katerina, come here."  He said beckoning her forward, as soon as she was in arms length he stab her out, his eyes morphing to a golden yellow, before he sunk his extended canines into her neck.

Grace screamed, in an instant she was on her feat and in front of Kathrine.

"What the hell Nik?" Grace said, her eyes alight with anger.

"No, no, no" Kathrine repeated desperately, clutching her neck in fear.

However just as Grace was about demand for Nik to help her, to heal her, to do something he bit down in his own wrist, forcing it into Kathrine's mouth, making her drink his own blood.

She reeled back in shock, her hand shooting back to her neck but her eyes widened as she could feel the wound recede under her fingers.

"Your blood." Stefan whispered.

"It's the cure." Grace said, looking him in the eyes, searching for confirmation.

"Gotta love Mother Nature, you wanted to fix your brother - well there you go."  He said, sauntering over to Stefan, slapping his hand onto his shoulder. "Now...Let's talk, you and I."

::::::::::

So my New Years resolution was to try and get a structured update system for this book but we all know that such resolutions never last. However, I am going to try and update as much as possible, even if it is sparingly.

Emma x.