The Truth About Nothing (3)

Chapter 3

**Dune's POV**

Did I do something wrong?

Why's Will so upset? I am just wearing the clothes that Mrs. Shay set out for me after my shower. I was confused at first, but now I'm just annoyed. Maybe it was a little self pity mixed with frustration, but I just thought about how much Will had, this beautiful house, this wonderful family, and I had nothing! No family, no home, not even an identity. Why was he so strung up over me borrowing clothes?

He had gone into the kitchen and argued with his parents for what seemed like forever, then proceeded to his room with no dinner. Well, fine if he was going to be that way then I could care less!

"Sorry about that." My thoughts were interrupted by a heart felt apology from Mrs. Shay. She looked young for her age. She was short with pretty blond curls just like Rachel's. From what I had gathered from different conversations all evening, she was the owner of the Ridge-View library (I wonder if everything in this town is named Ridge-View-something).

She smelled of old books and she had glasses that hung from a chain around her neck. She was the ideal cliche librarian that you see in movies or read about in books. But she had this presence about her that was warm and fun, that made you want to hang out with her even though she was in her 40's.

I really didn't learn that much about the family thought, because they kept asking about me. I don't know why they did . . . out of courtesy? There really was no point seeing as how I don't remember anything. But they ask stuff like, "Do you like the town?" or "Do you like this or that?" strictly opinion questions. I feel like I learned more about myself then they actually learned about me after almost an hour of talking.

"You can have the room at the end of the hall." Mr. Shay said. Was there sadness in his voice? I must be mistaken, he's probably tired. "Don't worry about getting up early, I'll call social services, you just get sleep, that's what you really need."

"Night sweet heart" Mrs. Shay whispered as she kissed my forehead. I fought back tears. I felt so loved. I hadn't cried when I woke up and realized that all my memories were gone, I hadn't cried when I came to the realization that I must be a bad person, I hadn't even cried when the doctor was finishing off my stitches. So why did I feel like crying now? I was in shock, but now I was fully aware of my situation and just how lonely I had felt before now. I quickly said my goodnights and headed to the room at the end of the hall before tears could spring to my eyes.

**Will's POV**

Ugh! I'm not mad at dune, but I had yelled at her all the same. Who did I think I am? I was such a jerk! She has nothing right now! Now I'm mad at myself. She's probably scared senseless and I just screamed at her. Shannon would want her to wear her clothes! Just because I can't let go isn't a reason! I can't stop feeling guilty, but it's too late to apologize. She is probably asleep. But still, I need some fresh air.

I creep out of my room down the hall to the back door. I gently slide it open and slip outside without being spotted, I don't want my parents thinking I am sneaking out again. I slip along the side of the house til' I come to the stairs. I was about to step down when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I turn to see Dune trying to slip inside the house. Without thinking I grab her wrist. She turned, startled and frozen.

"I-I was just leaving, I was just getting some fresh air and I-I was going back inside." She looked around while she frantically tried to explain, never once looking me in the eyes. For some reason it made me sad.

"You don't have to leave." I said, though I doubted she would after the way I had treated her earlier. She hesitates a moment, then sat down on the steps . . .