Chapter 17

This is the song that Emmalin sings, and the dress she wears for her solo :)                                      Emmalin P

This is the song that Emmalin sings, and the dress she wears for her solo :)                                      Emmalin P.O.V

"Argh! Where is my dress. I can't leave without my dress!" I start searching frantically for my stupid dress that I was supposed to wear tonight. I was singing a solo, and I was super stressed out. I had to leave for rehearsals in an hour.

"Calm down, bambina. It's in your hand." Dante seemed amused. I look at my hand, and sure enough, there was my dress and shoes.

"Right... well, we should go. We're all getting dressed at the venue." Dante chuckles, and then we leave the house.

"Hey, this is a competition, right? Then what's the prize?" I hadn't thought about that.

"I have no idea."

"Hmm, well, we'll be there in time for your school." I smiled at him. I've got this.

"Okay, Leo should be inside already. I'll see you this evening. Good luck, princess."

"Thanks, Dante." I step out of the car, and greet all my choir members.

"Emma darling, you're here!" I quickly left Leo, and headed towards Mrs Hart. "Alright, so I need you to practice your solo now, because the band is ready." I nod, and go on to the stage.

"Hey, you're the one with the good music taste." I tilt my head to the side. "The song you chose. It's different. The others are going for the sad songs. Your song is one with passion, but also isn't slow. Not to mention, it let's me have my fun with these." He flips his drumstick into the air, before catching it.

"I'm Emmalin." I say, shaking his hand.

"Phil."

"Okay, we're ready!" One of the sound directors yells. For the next few minutes, I practice my solo, as well the group song we're singing.

"Alright girls, go on and change into your outfits." Mrs Hart says, and we scurry into the dressing room assigned to our school.

"Ladies and gentlemen. The next school choir, is Darson High School!" The curtains pen, and we all stand in our white dresses. The music starts, and we begin singing. I don't have a solo in this performance, because I'm singing the whole of the next song. We sounded amazing, and I could see the pride in Mrs. Hart's eyes.
"That was incredible, ladies. Next up, and our last performance of the night, is the soloist from Darson High school, is Emmalin Folliero." After hearing my name, I step on the stage. I'm now wearing my solo dress. It's black, with gemstones on the torso. It falls just above my knees, and it makes me feel like I could take over the world.

The drummer, Phil, nods to me, and I smile back. As soon as the music starts, I spot my sibling, all wearing a tux, and Sofie in a pink dress. I start singing my song. Impossible, by James Arthur. The beginning is kind of slow, but as soon as the chorus begins, cheers erupt from the audience. Oh, my lord, they like me! The support coming from the audience is like my adrenaline. They haven't even heard the best part yet. After one of the versus, there is a moment of complete silence, and Phil gives me a wink. On the count of three, I stop my foot on the stage, at the same time the music blares, and so does my voice. I sing as loud as I can, and my eyes and hands, are clenched so tight with passion, that I'm grateful the mic doesn't shatter. The crowd is going crazy, and I've never felt this way before. I end the song, and everyone screams for me. Sofie is going crazy on Antonio's shoulders, and my brothers are making so much noise, it adds up to half the sound in the room. I giggle, and Phil gives me a thumbs up.

"Thank you," I mumble, then exit the stage.

"That's my baby girl!" Dante swings me in a circle, and I giggle. My brothers all tackle me in hugs, and Sofie clutches me like a koala bear would a tree.

"If everyone could please settle down, we need to announce the winners." Everyone turns silent. "In third place for the group performances, we have Blue crest High." Everyone clapped, as their teacher received the trophy. "In second place, we have Darson High." Mrs Hart beams at everyone, and went to collect our trophy. "Last but not least, first position goes to Brownridge High!" We all clap, as a tall, skinny guy collects their trophy. Along with a white envelope.

"Moving on to our soloists. Now, I must say, al of these students did exceptionally well. Third place, goes to Amanda Ross, of Blue Crest High." A girl with a French braid, collects a trophy. She did really well.

"Second place, goes to Oliver Miller." A short boy with glasses goes up.

"Lastly, our first-place prize, for the sixteenth annual music competition goes to..." Dante squeezes my shoulder and I hold my breath. "Emmalin Folliero!" Everyone cheers for me, and my cheeks hurt from smiling so wide. I hadn't realised I was standing in the same spot, until Dante nudged me forward. I get on stage, and accept my trophy, along with a white envelope.

"That was quite a performance, Miss Folliero. Well done." The judge says, shaking my hand.

"Thank you."

I skip back to all of them, and quickly jump up and down, like a child on a sugar rush. After everyone has congratulated me, Antonio suggest we have dinner at a restaurant.

"May I take your dinks order?" The waiter asks. Everyone orders their drinks, and apple juice for Sofie and I.

"So, did you open the envelope yet?" Enzo asks.

"Oh, I completely forgot about that. I sure it's just some credit stuff for college applications." I say, looking through my purse to find it.

"Yeah, I guess that would make sense." I finally open it, and pull out the first piece of paper.

Congratulations!

You are the first-place winner of our 16th annual singing contest.

This is a great honour, that many students strive to achieve.

Your prize money for this achievement will be found in this envelope.

Once again, Congratulations! We hope that this is the beginning to a wonderful music career.

Sincerely,

The music department.

"Prize money?" I noticed Enzo and Luca reading the letter over my shoulder. I quickly look in the envelope, and gasp when I see the amount.

"Um, Antonio?"

"Hmm?" He's busy wiping the spilt juice off Sofie.

"I... Um... This is quite... a lot." He focuses on me, and I hand him the cheque.

"10 000 dollars?!" Gio screeches, chocking on his drink.

"I agree, this is a lot." Antonio looks thoughtful.

"Um, could I maybe... Invest it? You know, in a bank?" I ask nervously. Hoping he'll agree.

"Actually, that's a pretty good idea. How long?" I smile, because he's agreeing.

"Maybe until I'm old enough. So, until I'm about twenty?" Dante looks proud of my decision.

"That's a better idea that any of your brothers would come up with if they were in your position." Dante says, winking at me.

The rest of dinner is amazing, and just as we stand to leave, Dante pushes me down under the table with Sofie, and I hear gunshots. No.

Dante curses out loud, and I see blood on his sleeve. After my brothers take out their guns and retaliate, there I silence. Slowly, I take off my hands from Sofie's eyes.

"Emmy?" She whispers.

"Yeah, honey, it's okay." She snuggles into me, and I call Leo using my phone.

"Emmalin?" He asks, sounding sleepy.

"Leo, we've been shot at, and I think Dante's hurt, and we're under the table, and I don't know what to do, and-"

"I'm on my way." He cut's me off, ending the call.

"Girls, you can come out now." Luc softly says. He takes Sofie from me, and I climb out. Dante has blood coming from his arm, and Antonio, from his leg.

"Girls, go home with Luca." Antonio instructs, and we scurry out of the restaurant. How many times will my brothers be hurt because of me? I think to myself, as we get home.

I need to end this, once and for all.