CHAPTER FOURTEEN

BECCA was numb.

Red and blue lights flashed across her face as one of the paramedics continued to wrap bandages around her wrists. A course blanket had been thrown over her shoulders where she sat in the back of the ambulance, the fabric barely registering to her.

She'd awoken on a gurney outside her house, police cars, ambulances and a fire truck parked in her driveway as her mother filed a police report. By then, nearly half the town of Riverdale was on her front lawn, most only curious neighbors and spectators wondering what had happened. Both the Riverdale Register and the local news channel had sent reporters in, hoping to get an interview from her mother or father. While crime was no stranger in Riverdale, it was rare on the Northside of town. Especially for the family of the Deputy Mayor.

The dark-haired girl could care less about all the commotion though. Everything seemed like white noise to her as she stared blankly ahead, dried tears on her cheeks. The first and only thing she'd done since she'd woken up was make sure her mother was okay. Melinda had sustained more injuries than Becca but managed to get patched up before her daughter regained consciousness.

The paramedic finished up the bandaging, wrapping the gauze securely around her now bruised and cut-up flesh.

"Just keep off that wrist for a while," The woman advised, giving the dark-haired girl a sympathetic smile.

Becca said nothing in response, merely hugging the blanket closer to her body. All she could think about in that moment were the rough touches of the Gargoyle's hands on her body, their sharp nails digging into her skin harshly. The hard kick of their boots as they forced her to kneel in front of the Gargoyle King and the way the rough cloth had tasted bitter in her mouth, nearly choking her.

"Becca!" Reggie's voice jolted her out of her thoughts, and she glanced up as her disheveled-looking brother made his way through the sea of people towards her. Jughead, Betty, Kevin, Cheryl, Toni, Fangs and Sweet Pea followed closely behind.

"Are you alright? Mom told me what happened," He asked as he approached her, a worried look in his eyes as he took in her condition.

Becca didn't immediately answer, for once at a loss for words. The group of teenagers surrounded the back of the ambulance, each one of them looking just as concerned as her brother.

A few moments of silence passed and the frown on Reggie's face grew deeper.

"Becca?" He asked again in a gentler voice.

He reached out a comforting hand towards her shoulder and as soon as his fingers grazed her skin, Becca flinched away from his touch. The action didn't go unnoticed by anyone, especially Sweet Pea who immediately looked her up and down. At the sight of her bandaged wrist and bruised arms, his jaw tightened, and his hands clenched into fists at his side.

Reggie retracted his hand from her slowly, now watching her with a much more careful eye.

"Sorry," She muttered quietly, feeling a little guilty at her reaction. She hadn't realized how much the experience had affected her until now.

"Cheryl, Toni, Fangs, Sweet Pea and I were in the middle of a G&G game when we heard the Gargoyle Kingdecided to pay you a visit," Jughead began, trying to keep his tone light despite the scary situation, "How are you feeling, 'High Priestess'?"

Becca regained a bit of her strength, replying sarcastically, "Fantastic, Jones. Thanks for asking."

"Becca..." Betty faltered for a moment, her voice soft and sympathetic, "What happened? All we heard was-"