CHAPTER ELEVEN

FOG, dense and heavy, had settled over Riverdale come Tuesday morning.

Becca arrived at school nearly an hour before her first class started and, as if right on cue Riverdale High's library opened just as she walked through the front doors.

"Ah Ms. Mantle," Mrs. Paroo, the librarian, greeted her with a friendly smile, "I haven't seen you here in a while. Those new coding textbooks came in if you'd like to check them out today."

Becca, despite her nerves, gave her a small smile, "I'd love to Mrs. Paroo, but I'm actually meeting someone here for a school project."

"Oh, yes of course, Sweet Pea right?" She asked with sudden interest.

The dark-haired girl's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Uh yeah, how'd you know that?"

The older woman gestured to the tables behind her, and Becca turned around, following her gaze. There, in the back near some of the bookcases, sat the tall Serpent. He was looking down at his paper, twiddling a pencil between his fingers, before he felt her stare on him and looked up, meeting her gaze.

"Was waiting for me when I came to unlock the library," Mrs. Paroo commented lightly, "Such a kind gentleman, even helped me open the doors. They tend to stick a little."

Becca barely registered her words, nodding absentmindedly as she broke Sweet Pea's stare. She mumbled a thanks to the older librarian before making her way past all the other empty tables.

"Can't believe I beat you here, princess," He remarked in a neutral tone as she sat her stuff down, "You're usually pretty good at that sort of thing."

"Yeah well, I have other more pressing things to deal with," She shot back, harsher than she intended.

Sweet Pea rolled his eyes, putting his hands up and replying in a tired voice, "Just trying to make conversation, Becca, that's all."

Her jaw clenched slightly, remembering his words from earlier, "I thought you were trying to get this done as soon as possible? You know, so we wouldn't have to make conversation?"

The Serpent sighed heavily, letting out a bitter chuckle, "Right, well let's get started then."

They worked in silence, pencils scratching against paper and computer keyboards clacking away. It was so unlike last time; the endless banter and secret smiles they once shared were gone like ashes scattered to the wind.

Becca tried not to think about it.

At the end of the hour, ten minutes before the first bell rang, Sweet Pea let out a deep breath and pushed his notebook away.

"So, same time later this week?" He asked, quirking a dark eyebrow at her as he started putting his stuff away.

Becca nodded, "Yeah, that sounds good."

The tall Serpent shook his head in agreement, staring absentmindedly at her computer. As the dark-haired girl reached to slide it back into her backpack, the sleeve of her blue sweater rode up on her arm. Sweet Pea's eyes caught something dark, and before she could protest, he'd reached out across the table to push the fabric further up her arm.

"Sweet Pea, what the-"

"What are those?" His gaze was now fixated intensely on the clear bruises scattered across her wrist. A hurricane of emotions stormed behind his eyes and when she didn't immediately respond, he glanced sharply up at her.

She snatched her arm away, pulling her sleeve back down hastily.

"I just, uh, bumped into something," Becca managed to get out, mentally cursing herself at the lame excuse.