CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE next day after school, Becca found herself wanting to face Sheriff Minetta again rather than facing what was behind Riverdale High's library doors.

Her and Sweet Pea had decided to meet up again to work on their mid-semester project. As Ms. Lincoln had so kindly put it after the Sheriff's 'PSA': some teen criminal wasn't going to stop them from schoolwork.

As she entered the library, the dark-haired girl sent a friendly wave to Mrs. Paroo before finding a spot in the back near the stacks of books. Just as she leaned over to dig out her world history textbook, she heard someone sit down at the table.

"Okay, Sweet Pea, so I was thinking for the next part-"

"What?" Reggie's voice suddenly asked.

Becca was so surprised to hear her brother that she shot straight up in her seat...only to bang her head against the plastic table a moment later. She let out a groan of pain, rubbing at the tender skin with a gasp.

"Reggie?" Her dark eyebrows shot up in confusion as she re-oriented herself in her chair and looked over at her brother, rather than Sweet Pea, who sat across from her, "What the hell are you doing here?"

He crossed his arms, his eyes narrowing, "Well, for your information, I came into the library to check out some book I'm supposed to read for Dr. Beaker's class and I thought maybe we could talk G&G but-"

"Becca? Reggie?" Sweet Pea's voice asked from behind her brother and the dark-haired girl turned to see the tall Serpent looking between them with a mixture of confusion and apprehension.

Reggie instantly bristled at him but turned his angry gaze towards her instead and finished his sentence, "I can see you're rather pre-occupied though."

After Riot Night, Reggie had managed to piece together everything that had happened to Becca during those long, fateful hours. Including Sweet Pea's break-up with her. Needless to say, if he'd ever been a fan of Sweet Pea, he certainly wasn't now.

Becca sighed, rolling her eyes, "Reggie, it's not what you think. Sweet Pea and I are working on a history project together. That's all."

An unknown emotion flashed across Sweet Pea's features, but it was gone before Becca noticed.

"Well," Reggie said in a short, bitter tone as he stood up, "History is an interesting subject, but it also has a funny way of repeating itself."

His gaze locked with the tall Serpent's as he threatened in a low voice, "And if you cause any more damage, Sweet Tart, I'll be happy to repeat some history for you. Just because the Bulldogs and Serpents are friends now doesn't mean we're cool bro. Got it?"

Sweet Pea looked less than intimidated by her brother but instead of arguing, simply arched an eyebrow and replied in a sarcastic voice, "Got it, 'bro'."

"Reggie," Becca warned sharply, "Leave, now. We can talk about G&G later."

Reggie stood there for a moment, not moving from his spot in front of Sweet Pea, before reluctantly backing away. He cast one last glare in the Serpent's direction though as he passed by him.

"See you later Becs," He nodded towards her before finally leaving.

Sweet Pea said nothing as he sat down, and Becca wondered for a moment if he was going to make some snide remark about her brother like he usually did. This time though, he was surprisingly quiet on the matter. Instead, he just took out his notebook and their world history textbook, opening both to a random page.

After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Becca decided to speak up.

"So, I was thinking for the next part of the presentation," She began rather awkwardly, "That we could add in an example myth, to explain some of the motifs in Greek mythology-"