Chapter Twenty Three: I Should Probably Stop Being so Damn Brave

I woke up to screaming.

Salazar, this was getting old.

I tumbled off the couch and hit the ground with a painful thump.

"Crucio!" Someone cackled.

That was when my brain cells returned. "Shit," I whispered.

My head whipped around to my left, only to see a crowd of Slytherins-horrified, may I add-looking at...

"Blaise!" I scrambled up from my spot, curse words dripping from my mouth as I watched my boyfriend get tortured.

I finally found my wand and flicked it, Alecto' wand flying into my outstretched hand. "Stop," I ordered. I saw Blaise relax a little but I still felt guilty.

Alecto snarled. "Give me back my wand, you useless brat."

I scoffed. "Useless? You think I'm useless?! You're the one torturing students because you just don't know how to hand out a proper detention!" I shrieked. Okay. Apparently I got my voice back.

Alecto stepped towards me. "You dare speak to me like that?!"

I lifted my chin. "Yes. I dare. Because I might not be a Gryffindor, but if you hurt Nat or Blaise again, I will...." I was cut off by a yell.

"We are authorities! Anyone that disobeys will get punished!" I looked over my shoulder to see Amycus.

I rolled my eyes although by now, I was actually afraid I was going to die. Blaise was looking at me and shaking his head while Nat looked scared to death.

"Oh yay! Look!" I pointed to Amycus and Alecto. "It's dumb and dumber! What're you going to do? Crucio me? Go ahead!" I opened my arms.

And just like expected, Amycus did Crucio me. "Crucio!" He snarled.

Stumbled down onto my knees as pain filled my body. And by minute one, I stopped counting.

"Stop!" Blaise yelled. I think it was about minute three. "She's sorry! I'm sorry. We-it was an accident. It won't happen again!" He promised, striding over to me and helping me up from the ground.

I shook him off and snarled, reaching for my wand. "No I'm not," I snarled, my wand was pointing at them.

Blaise pushed down my arm, shaking his head. "No! She's sorry. We're sorry. It won't happen again," he promised again, gripping my waist tightly.

I struggled against his grip but finally just sighed, clenching my jaw and rolling my eyes.

Alecto scoffed. "We're not accepting any apologies until little Lyra there says it too," she snarled.

I clenched my fist and stayed silent.

Blaise nudged me. "Love," he pleaded. "Please."

My eyes softened a little as I looked into his eyes. They were misty...with tears. I faced Alecto and Amycus. "I'm...sorry," I lied. I wasn't sorry.

They nodded, grinning-showing their uneven teeth. "Off to classes, you undeserving lot!" Amycus yelled.

The Slytherins scrambled out. Blaise and I followed.

The moment we were out in the hallway, the Slytherins erupted into chatter.

"Nat!" I called. A head of brunette hair appeared next to me, hugging the life out of me.

Then she hit me. "You fucking idiot!" she spit, giving me and Blaise our bags.

I lifted my chin. "I didn't do anything wrong...and babe, are you okay?" I asked, looking at Blaise who was grimacing.

Na looked at Blaise. "Yeah! Are you okay? Carrow had you on the curse for a long time," she worried.

I narrowed my eyes. "How long?" I asked, intertwining my fingers with Blaise's.

"I'm fine and I think about for 3 minutes?" he answered, pulling me and Nat to the Defense classroom.

I just kissed his cheek as Nat narrowed her eyes. And yes, I knew he was lying.

"What the fuck happened here?!" Nat shrieked, looking around the Defense classroom.

I looked around, as did other Slytherins. It was horrible. The desks were in neat rows, all facing the front and the board said...

"Dark Arts," I whispered. "We're learning about the Dark fucking Arts!" I yelled.

That was when Carrow number two came in(Amycus). "Yes, Miss Lyra. That is true," he grinned.

"Now, who wants to demonstrate?" he asked, looking around the classroom. We had the "dark arts" with Gryffindors.

"Ah! Longbottom!" he called gleefully.

"No," Nevile Longbottom responded.

Amycus grinned. "Then do you want me to test it on you?" he asked evilly.

"Of course not," I whispered, stroking Blaise's hand. Blaise just progressively got worse after the Cruciatus Curse. His breathing was very shallow and he winced every time he inhaled. I was worried. A lot.

"Crucio!" Amycus yelled.

Nevile fell to the floor in pain and I could only watch. Besides...if I intervened, I would get hit too.

And that was how class ended. The class ended by Nevile getting hit by the Cruciatus Curse.

We all rose hastily and rushed off to our next class. Transfiguration with Professor Mcgonagall. She was one of my favourites.

"And I am sorry if-" Professor Mcgonagall stopped herself when I let out a strangled scream.

"Blaise!" Nat screamed, catching him as he fell.

I rushed over and helped him onto the floor.

Professor Mcgonagall rushed over, her robes billowing. "What was he hit by?" he asked, her scottish accent thick.

"Cruciatus," I responded, pulling his head onto my lap.

Mcgonagall sucked in a breath. "I need to get Poppy. Stay here," she said in a rushed voice and rushed out of the classroom.

I looked around the room at terrified Gryffindors and Slytherins and sighed. "I know most of you lot don't trust me," I started. The Gryffindors scoffed. "But I need to ask you for a favour. No matter what, stand up for people who are getting cursed by the so-called professors," I asked.

Nevile stood up, surprisingly. "Lyra's right. No one should be left to deal with curses on their own," he added.

"If you do that, thank you. If you don't, you're just as bad as them," Nat warned, meeting everyone's eyes.

"You guys can go," I whispered softly, pressing a kiss to Blaise's forehead before looking up.

And when I did, people were slowly heading out the door.

This would be one hell of a year.